Captain Don's in 10 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homerdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Had a couple questions if you can help out.

What size lock should I bring? Smallish? Medium? I have read you need one for the dive lockers.

For diving the house reef, to the left there is a small wreck, to the right is the cliffs, which would be the best direction to go for a night dive? My first but going with my brother who has done several.

I booked through maduro, which was weird they sent me a PDF to print, do you just show it to them?

Thanks for any advice, and any advice in general on captain dons would be appreciated. I stayed at Buddy Dive before, so I will put up a comparison after this trip.

A small luggage type lock should be fine. Unless things dramatically changed since last Jan, they are wooden locker that could easily be broken into if someone wanted to regardless of the lock. The lock is more to show that the locker is taken and provides a little bit of discouragement. There is security on the grounds at night and in the area of the lockers and that would likely be the primary deterrent and plenty of divers during the day.

Down the rope to the left to the small boat is a shorter distance and so may be better if new. If your first night dive and unless your brother has done a night dive at Capt Dons or Buddys, get ready for the Tarpon to be a lot more active, attracted to your lights and attempt to feed in your light beam. It can be fairly spooky at first to have the large tarpon swoop over a shoulder and zoom through your light beam. They are not interested in you but your light.

Can't help with the third Q.

On your first morning don't miss your orientation and bring your c-card and cash (for the park pass).

As far as I know, the Maduro document should be your Voucher--the desk at checkin will keep it. We use Maduro as well.

lock--small or medium is ok--the hole in the hasp is not large, but an average size lock is ok--We mostly use the type that sells in a 3 pack and all have the same key. AND are cheap, That's about what they sell there, but not as cheap.....

either way is good--the wreck-LaMachaca--is close by to the right at 35 ft or so---Cliff is further away to the right--Cliff starts at 30 ft goes to 60

One of the best changes in recent years is that they moved an air fill station down by the dive lockers. Nitrox though requires a trudge up/down the ramp. Nitrox for the boat dives will be on the boat.

For your nite dives out front, you will see most everything at less than 40 ft deep.......

We, TKaelin included-- hope you have a great trip! At least I THINK I can speak for him! :)

We noticed last trip in August, that the store across from the dive shop is much better stocked than in the past--check there first if something is needed.

Budget car rental is at Capt Don's now.

Any further Q, ask Tkaelin or me!

Yup, have a great trip. Wish I was going. Maybe next year. PS Jimw I took this picture in CUR last week thinking of one of your BON pics you posted not long ago.
WP_20170103_018.jpg

Had to get two beers, they were the little guys.

Post a trip report. I can see at least one day ended well!

We often just use whatever combination locks we have on our luggage if we need something for a dive locker. (Combination lock means you don't need to keep track of the key.)

Back
Top Bottom