Review Captain Hook’s Dive Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dived with them a few times and they are good operation, IMO. I enjoy the Vandy a lot, it's a great site. I have friends diving them tomorrow on a private charter and very much looking forward to it. Sad that I can't join.

A few observations about your dive commentary, however, that are surprising to me. First, I'm surprised that people were not diving nitrox. It doesn't matter what the differential is between the top deck and the sand. As with most of the big wrecks in the keys (Spiegel, Duane, etc.), you will rarely ever hit the sand. However, the average depth of that site is still substantial and there are still great benefits in diving nitrox from the perspectives of safety and reduced top time between dives (My last two dives on that wreck show averages of 79 and 83 feet). Also, if some people were diving with nitrox and others without, then the guide is dealing with all the stuff that comes along with managing a mixed gas group. Thus most of the charters diving those wrecks, in my experience, require nitrox. (not criticizing you at all, btw, just making an observation).

Second, I do not remember their guides carrying ponies or them dropping cylinders at 15 feet. It's great to know that they are doing that now. Given the huge influx of tourist divers, you never know what you're going to get on those wrecks.

The approach that the guide took regarding penetration is common for those types of wrecks in the Keys: Verbally confirm everyone's comfort level prior to the dive, evaluate everyone's skills for the first part of the dive, trial some simple penetration on the first dive, then perhaps do a little bit more on the second dive. I applaud the guide for making what was probably the right call to turn back...they should always exercise caution with those types of groups. Unfortunately, it might not have been the most exciting situation for you, however :/

Thanks for the review.

I've dived with them a few times and they are good operation, IMO. I enjoy the Vandy a lot, it's a great site. I have friends diving them tomorrow on a private charter and very much looking forward to it. Sad that I can't join.

Hope for them it goes, but it’s not looking great. I was supposed to dive today but too windy, tomorrow doesn’t look much better. Crossing my fingers as I leave on Friday afternoon.

A few observations about your dive commentary, however, that are surprising to me. First, I'm surprised that people were not diving nitrox. It doesn't matter what the differential is between the top deck and the sand. As with most of the big wrecks in the keys (Spiegel, Duane, etc.), you will rarely ever hit the sand. However, the average depth of that site is still substantial and there are still great benefits in diving nitrox from the perspectives of safety and reduced top time between dives (My last two dives on that wreck show averages of 79 and 83 feet). Also, if some people were diving with nitrox and others without, then the guide is dealing with all the stuff that comes along with managing a mixed gas group. Thus most of the charters diving those wrecks, in my experience, require nitrox. (not criticizing you at all, btw, just making an observation).

I appreciate your’s and @VsubT comments about the deck and depth. I haven’t dove the Vandy much (only 6 dives so far) but I also haven’t gotten below 102’ on a dive on it so it does make sense to use 28-32% for added safety and increased NDLs. Captain Hook’s Dive Key West didn’t mention or ask about it, and since I joined the dive at the last minute that morning (my originally scheduled dive op cancelled on me last minute the night before), I forgot to ask about it.

The only other op I’ve used for the Vandy was Captain’s Corner last year, who at the time only had 36% nitrox, so I didn’t use it. I hope that’s changed. I’ll have to check with Captain Hook’s and other ops in the area if they have 28-32%. I don’t remember seeing anything on the other ops websites about requiring nitrox for the Vandy (just that you must be AOW or higher and have dove in the last 12 months).

Hope for them it goes, but it’s not looking great. I was supposed to dive today but too windy, tomorrow doesn’t look much better. Crossing my fingers as I leave on Friday afternoon.

I appreciate your’s and @VsubT comments about the deck and depth. I haven’t dove the Vandy much (only 6 dives so far) but I also haven’t gotten below 102’ on a dive on it so it does make sense to use 28-32% for added safety and increased NDLs. Captain Hook’s Dive Key West didn’t mention or ask about it, and since I joined the dive at the last minute that morning (my originally scheduled dive op cancelled on me last minute the night before), I forgot to ask about it.

The only other op I’ve used for the Vandy was Captain’s Corner last year, who at the time only had 36% nitrox, so I didn’t use it. I hope that’s changed. I’ll have to check with Captain Hook’s and other ops in the area if they have 28-32%. I don’t remember seeing anything on the other ops websites about requiring nitrox for the Vandy (just that you must be AOW or higher and have dove in the last 12 months).
Yes, agree with you that 36% nitrox would not be optimal. The Vandenberg, Duane, and Spiegel Grove all have remarkably similar profiles from the standpoint that there's lots of stuff to explore at the "top" of the wreck from about 75-100 feet and then your drop to the sand brings you down to 130-145ft. We usually dive 30% on them because we have banked access to that and it works well.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom