Captive stingrays released from Dolphin Discovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw that in The Cay Compass.I agree took to long.Makes me wonder how or why the people who run Dolphin Discovery think they has the right to capture them and put them on display in the first place.

I heard from some locals I met on island and dove with that Dolphin Discovery took rays from Stingray City and kept them at DD, but it was very hard for me to think they would do something like this. Apparently it was true! I cannot believe they would do something like that. It's shameful.

Makes me wonder how or why the people who run Dolphin Discovery think they has the right to capture them and put them on display in the first place.

Unless they are known to have obtained them illegally, is it really that different from most of the rest of us thinking we have the 'right' to capture animals (wild or domestic) & kill & eat them?

Richard.

Unless they are known to have obtained them illegally, is it really that different from most of the rest of us thinking we have the 'right' to capture animals (wild or domestic) & kill & eat them?

Richard.

A philosophical question that will inevitably require "line-drawing" in responding. With that said, given my particular moral and ethical viewpoints, I cannot justify keeping dolphins penned up.

Richard.

I see your point and don't dispute it BUT to me it is the same as going to a petting zoo and shooting one of those animals .

Here is part of an article in the Cay Compass News:

Since the rays were found at Dolphin Discovery, the government has passed an amendment to the Marine Conservation Law, making it illegal to remove certain species of rays from anywhere in local waters or to keep those species of rays in captivity.

Last edited:
Keeping captive rays or turtles is a shame. Keeping captive dolphins is a crime. These are highly intelligent mammals that exhibit social behaviour and communication as well as nursing their young. P.S., I don't condone eating mammals either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom