Car Accidents Under Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bundy

Reaction score
Solo diving is not for everyone, let me make that very clear. I have only done it twice since I have become certified but I have researched the subject quite extensively, and plan on doing it much more in 2006.

There are two thoughts on the subject. (1) either you engage in it, or are thinking about doing it or (2) you would never do it and it is the farthest thing from your mind. So lets begin.

Have you ever been involved in a car accident? Do you remember how you felt? Were you scared? Nervous? Paniced? Anxious? If your like me, you were all of those things. Now imagine those feelings under water when something goes wrong. What are you going to do? Do you depend on your buddy or do you depend on yourself?

Solo divng is about depending on yourself. Not your buddy! I have been diving with my buddy and after 20 to 30 minutes in the water we find ourselves seperated but with every intenton of staying together. Has this happened to you? So in reality I'am, Solo Diving? The problem occurs when one diver depends on the other diver to bail him out when something goes wrong. Exceptions include instructor/trainee situations. I'm talking about the "so-called" experienced divers.

The number one cause of accidents in diving is panic. Being at 60 - 130 fsw is a hostile enviroment. Humans were not designed to be there, keep that in mind when a problem occurs. Suspose for a minute you are at 75 fsw and you look at your pressure gauge and it reads 100 psi (now this should never happen) but lets say it does. Worst case senario, you have no idea where your buddy is. Only one option, head for the surface and hope you don't rupture your lungs on the way up. If this were really happening you would be feeling all those feelings associated with a car accident right about now.

Now if you were properly trained for this type of situation or any out of air situation, you would have an EBS (Emergeny Breathing System). An alternate air source independent of the tank straped to your back. A pony bottle with its own first stage and second stage. There are other types of alternate air sources available on the market, research and pick one that fits your needs. This would of given you enough air to have safely returned to the surface from 75 fsw.

The point I'm trying to make is not to depend on your buddy even if you dive with one. Learn, train and take the steps to take care of yourself in the sport we love so much. Purchase a pony bottle and another regulator. Practice using it at 20 feet, under controled situations, so when it comes time to use it and you "panic" you won't. You will stay calm, cool, and collect, get a hold of your EBS regulator, clear it and head to the surface and even taking time for your safety stop.

Solo diving can be very theraputic. Just you and the beautiful water in front of you. But please take the proper pre-cautions before you even attempt this! Have your equipment in good working order, be comfortable in the water, you must be a strong swimmer, in good health, and a clear, sharp head aka mind. Please remember, solo diving is not for everyone.

I might remind you that the first rule in scuba diving is, Whatever happens to you, don't panic. Stop, think and then react to your situation. Rule number two is, don't forget rule number one. At least this is what was taught thirty years ago. I recertified in 2001 and the Padi drivel at the time was never hold your breath. Well, no s**t sherlock. Of course they never covered fun things like air embolisms and how they happen, just don't hold your breath.
The rules of diving are there wether you solo dive or not. You either follow them or your wife tries to collect on the life insurance. Its as simple as that.

Jim

bundy:
I have been diving with my buddy and after 20 to 30 minutes in the water we find ourselves seperated but with every intenton of staying together.

Either you were diving with a terrible 'buddy', or you are a terrible buddy, or both. Team diving is a skill, and once you've learned that skill, the concept of that a team could be separated is incredibly difficult to comprehend.

Has this happened to you?

Not since I learned how to dive in a team with people that know how to dive as a team.

So in reality I'am, Solo Diving?

In your situation, yes.

The problem occurs when one diver depends on the other diver to bail him out when something goes wrong.

Buddy/Team separation occurs when one or both divers aren't paying attention. It is a skill that needs practice, just like any other skill.

Exceptions include instructor/trainee situations.

Many instructors I've dived with have a solo diver mentality themselves and are no more qualified to help a buddy than any other shmo on the boat. I no longer dive with those individuals.

The number one cause of accidents in diving is panic.

I disagree...the number one cause of diving accidents is piss poor planning and/or incompentence when it comes to sticking to said plan. That can lead to panic, but the panic was a symptom, not a cause.

The point I'm trying to make is not to depend on your buddy even if you dive with one.

Many people who have never dived in a qualified and compentent team environment make the mistake of believing that it is dependence, when in reality it is a completely different mindset and approach to diving that is very difficult to explain.

Note, I am NOT trying to argue against solo diving...go, do it, have fun. Some people are not cut out for the discipline required for team diving, others just prefer to dive alone for a number of reasons.

I have a long way to go to qualify to be a solo diver, but I already think that one day I will. I have much to learn, and always will. I would not have responded in this thread except for the previous entry stating the therpeutic value of solo. I used to hunt a great deal, alone, and there is something to being out there. I really enjoyed that and would still go if I had access to lands that would allow it. I am assuming that a solo dive would be just as rewarding. My wife has already said NEVER and that is a request I will not go against. She will have to know what, where and when if I ever get to do this! Anyway, I am a new subscriber to this forum and have enjoyed the posts already. I will continue to watch, read, and learn.

Randy
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

[I hadn't realized the forum I was in. Post deleted. :D]

I appreciate all of the responses that I have gotten so far with the posting I made. I just want to get a serious discussion going about solo diving. I'm no expert and everyone has to do what is right and comfortable for them.

rdharbis1-thank you for your kind response. The solo divng I have done is so peaceful and sureal that it becomes a great place to focus on your life and realize how small we all really are. If you ever come to So Cal look me up and we can dive the kelp beds in Catalina.

soggy- Thank you for you comments. The point I was trying to make with the instructor/trainee situation was that people getting trained for the first time ie. basic open water, should depend on their instructor if something goes wrong. As far as panic being the number one cause of accidents, people panic and do not remember their training making them do irrational things and irracional actions. The piss poor planning comment is not relevent in all situations. People don't plan for accidents.

bundy:
People don't plan for accidents.

I wholeheartedly disagree. We plan for accidents on many levels. We carry redundant equipment, we practice air sharing, valve drills, other gear failures, we (should) work out to help prevent certain medical conditions...almost everything we do is to help prevent accidents. The dive plan is in place to help prevent confusion and accidents underwater. The only real unforseen accidents that can occur are medical events. Everything else is a matter of planning, training, and carrying the right equipment.

I totally agree with you soggy. Plan the dive and dive the plan. But in real world situations there is a chance that something goes wrong no matter how much planning you do, with situations other than medical problems. Just agree with me on that.

bundy:
So in reality I'am, Solo Diving?

When diving with a buddy, your buddy typicaly becomes a part of your dive plan and specific tasks will be planned and excuted differently than if solo. If you lose effective contact with your buddy, then your plan is hosed. This is not solo or buddy diving, it's just dangerous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom