Car rentals from Playa de Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tboxcar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After spending our week in Coz, we will take the ferry over to Playa and rent a car for several days down to Tulum and such.

Question: Can anyone recommend a car agency that is near the ferry port in Playa and if not near, an outfit that will pick us up and take us to a Hertz or Budget?

I have made several calls to both Hertz and Budget rent a car, and the people behind the phone could barely even pronounce 'playa de carmen' let alone describeto me where to pick up a car. Any thoughts would be appreciated, we are going in October.

After spending our week in Coz, we will take the ferry over to Playa and rent a car for several days down to Tulum and such.

Question: Can anyone recommend a car agency that is near the ferry port in Playa and if not near, an outfit that will pick us up and take us to a Hertz or Budget?

Use Rentadora Isis in Playa. They are the same group I use in Cozumel. They have an office in Playa at the Toucan Hotel and they'll take very good care of you.

I have made several calls to both Hertz and Budget rent a car, and the people behind the phone could barely even pronounce 'playa de carmen' let alone describeto me where to pick up a car. Any thoughts would be appreciated, we are going in October.

The first place I would look is Can-Do Maps and travel guides . They have a great section with all the rental car agencies listed with phone numbers and web address's (look under 'Travel Tips'). The maps they sell are excellent and will be the best money you spend on your trip. I would highly recommend that you get the Riviera Maya and the Chichen Itza (if you plan to leave the coast) maps.

This may be one of the problems you are running into dealing with folks over the phone. Most of the rental car lots are going to be located close to 307, some with offices on 5th Ave. You may find an office close to the ferry but they will not have any cars located there. Hertz, Avis, and Executive come to mind as ones with offices close to the ferry. Since you will be renting for several days, I assume that you will have most, if not all, of your luggage with you. Take that into account in your planning. Caribbean Rent a Car has an office on 5th Ave that is about 3/4 mile from the ferry. A long way to drag your bags. You might try posting your question on Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info . A lot of locals and hardcore Playa vacationers post there and they are the ones who could help you the most. Generally, we get our car at the airport in Cancun, so I cannot be much help to you about renting in PDC. The agencies we have used are Executive, Alamo and Caribbean Rent a Car. Had good luck with all three, no problems.

Thanks for the help, I used Carribean last time, had no real problems, but have recently heard some bad stories.

Use Rentadora Isis in Playa. They are the same group I use in Cozumel. They have an office in Playa at the Toucan Hotel and they'll take very good care of you.

Ditto...this is my recommendation also!

Thanks everybody, I found their website and will contact them soon. I heard some negative things (real negative) about Carribean Car Rental on Trip Advisor, although I did use them several years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom