Carbamazepine and Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim-SAR

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What are the medical concerns for the following types of diving while taking Carbamazepine (Tegretol)?

1. General/Deeper (100ft - 130ft) diving like the Florida Keys?

2. Deeper (100ft - 130ft) diving in cold water (<40 degrees F)?

3. Underwater Search/Recovery Operations?

A few weeks ago (11/19), I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia (Type-II/Atypycal), and I was prescribed Carbamazepine to control the nerve pain. I have titrated up to 400mg twice daily, and that is doing very well. I was also prescribed 600mg of Gabapentin as needed, but after taking that a few times, I've determined that the Gabapentin is an evil drub that just makes me sleep whenever IT decides I need to. I don't plan on taking the Gabapentin anytime soon. The Carbamazepine doesn't make me too drowsy at all, as I can still drive, and function at work.

I'm primarily concerned with the Florida Keys diving for now, since we're supposed to be going to the Keys during the week of Christmas for a vacation, and it would be nice to dive then.

The cold/deeper dives are for our local wreck dives here in Lake Michigan.

My final concern is regarding my duties/responsibilities as a Public Safety Diver on the County Underwater Search/Recovery Team. Should I be responding to the staging area with lights/siren, or just driving normal, and then once I'm there, should I take on a role as an active diver, or a shore support person, or even respond at all? Maybe this question should be in the PSD forum area instead, but I thought I'd start here.

I have several MRIs scheduled for this Saturday to help determine the cause of the Neuralgia, or at least rule out other potential causes such as tumors, or MS.

* * * Yes, I performed a search for Carbamazepine, and found a thread from 2003, but it didn't address my specific concerns.

Thanks In Advance :cool2:

Hi Jim, I was just diagnosed with Geniculate Neuralgia, a very similar illness. Were you able to dive? I searched the board and didn't see any other posts from you since this one. I hope you are well, and still diving.

Back
Top Bottom