Careless instructor or overthinking newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aura

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been very unsure if I should make this thread or not, but I figure it might at least clarify a few things for me. I did my PADI Advanced OW course not so long ago, and it was significantly below the standard I'm used to when diving, and I don't think I really learned any of the things I was hoping to.

I got OW certified five years ago and have done around 20 dives in warm places on holiday. I wanted to get more into local diving and signed up for the Advanced course. Since it was around two years since my last dive, I also paid for a refresher dive. My only request was that I could try out diving in a drysuit for one of my adventure dives, and the dive shop told me I could do the whole course in drysuit, which was great. It turned out they only had three drysuits for renting though, and two of them would only fit men twice my size. The third one was still somewhat big on me, but the instructor assured me it wouldn't be an issue. He seemed very friendly and helpful while picking the gear for me to use in the following dives.

Come dive day, and the attitude was a lot different. The instructor in general seemed like he was running late for dinner, and annoying things started happening. The dive boots I got from the dive shop were too big to fit in the foot pockets of my fins, so the instructor told me it was fine to just use the neoprene socks of the drysuit. I didn't know how much weight I needed since most of my dives have been done in a shorty wetsuit, and didn't know that the 14kg weight belt the instructor handed me was way off until I sat securely on the bottom of the water with a fully inflated BCD (I'm a 60kg woman). I ended up going with 8kg, since the full BCD would be able to sorta keep me neutral at that weight. I noticed that a fair amount of water was getting into the drysuit already at the surface, but when I told the instructor, he asked if I was cold and I told him I guess not. He was visibly annoyed at the delays already and just wanted to get on with the dives, and I figured that he knew what he was doing. It turned out that that dive was both my refresher + my first Advanced course dive + my first ever dive in cold water + first dive in drysuit + first dive below 18m (we went to 30).
I'd told the instructor that I possibly had to do a slow descent since I've had trouble equalizing ear pressure in the past (I've since researched equalizing rather extensively and I think I have it all figured out now). He said that was no problem, but then proceeded to doing the exact thing I hoped he wouldn't. He did the fastest descent I've ever seen anyone do, and I tried keeping up as well as I could until my right ear was starting to hurt quite badly. I had no idea of the depth since I had no computer or even a depth gauge, the only instrument I had was air. We were descending along a slope though so I stopped for a while, totally alone because he didn't look at me once during the entire descent. I probably exceeded the one minute I should've waited before beginning the ascent on my own, but by the time he came back looking for me, my ear was sort of ok so we continued down to 30m.
By then I started to really feel the cold, and had to thumb the dive since my feet were numb and my whole body started shaking. We were swimming against the current on the way back, and my ankles were seriously hurting from using neoprene socks in open heel fins. I will never do that again. I doubted a couple of times if I'd even be able to make it back on my own, because I felt exhausted, ice cold and in pain. I did manage though, and could just barely stagger out of the water with the drysuit being totally flooded all the way up to the neck. We called it a day since I was simply way too cold to continue.
The day after, he brought another drysuit, and it leaked as well. Not quite as bad, only so that the legs were full of water. But again, I thumbed the dive from my feet going numb and the instructor shrugged and congratulated me on passing the course.

I feel like I did learn a lot of things, but they were for the wrong reasons and they were not the things I had hoped for. I got two dives in total. The things I'll be taking with me from this are:
1. Own my own equipment. Then I'm responsible for it, and I'll know how it works and that it works.
2. Be more picky with the dive shops and instructors I deal with.
3. Don't have unlimited trust in anyone. I'll admit that I've been naïve in regards to the abilities of instructors and their willingness to keep me safe.
4. Take more responsibility for myself when diving. I'm completely aware of my own inexperience, but if someone wants to do something I think is unsafe, I'm going to say no, regardless of their supposed expertise. If someone does a kamikaze descent when my ears hurt, I'm going to simply thumb the dive.

My primary question here is, where does his responsibility as an instructor end, and where does mine as an independent diver begin?
He knew I was fairly inexperienced, he knew I'd never tried diving in cold water or tried a drysuit on, never gone below 18m, and two years since my last dive. I feel like I was thrown into the deep end, but when should I have drawn the line here? Am I wrong in feeling very disappointed about this course?

It's good you thumbed the dives. You took responsibility for your own safety.

The instructor's actions as described are beyond terrible. He allowed you to dive a flooded dry suit and initially over-weighted you. He didn't stick to standards of instruction. He appears to have not cared about instructing or tending to your safety.

Was this a PADI AOW course? Did he pass you after two aborted dives?

If it was a PADI course, you have or had the opportunity to give feed-back to PADI about the quality of the course. I would take advantage of that for the safety of others, and I would look for another instructor to get the training you were looking for. If you are going to be diving cold you should definitely get your own dry suit.

Did you read the thread about the young woman who drowned in the US VERY overweighted in a drysuit with no inflator hose on the suit? Your situation reminds me of that.

A drysuit that doesn’t fit and floods that badly is dangerous.

Did I read correctly that your refresher was done in a drysuit? That’s not a refresher if you’ve never dived dry before.

Your instructor was very negligent.

Report him to whatever the training agency is.

wow there is a lot there to unpack.

first, there is no excuse for an instructor making you feel the way you did. we are all human and sometimes we have a bad day but when it comes to a sport like this, we have to suck it up and focus on keeping the customer / student safe and happy.

not sure why the boots you had did not fit the fins. did you not try on all the gear at the store ? this is a no brainer. always try on any rental gear to make sure it will work for you. the store should have made sure you did.

allowing a student to dive in a suit that is leaking that badly is just unforgivable. sometimes small leaks happen to all of us. not a big deal. but to actually flood the suit as you described ? that nuts. and can be dangerous. not only will it completely change your buoyancy, but as you said, you were shivering cold. both are unacceptable. especially when doing a 100 foot dive.

during any part of the dive, whether it is the descent, the bottom phase, or on ascent (including the safety stop) the instructor should have you well within site and close enough to easiy assist if there is any issue. what you described is not only unacceptable, but is a breach of the teaching standards we are required to follow.

it sounds to me like you should def find another shop and another instructor. you may even consider reporting them to the agency they teach for. (ssi, padi, sdi, etc etc) i am pretty sure thay would be interested to hear you were doing a training dive with no depth gauge, timer, or computer. oy !!

i think your 4 lessons are all good ones that should stick with you.

you are certainly not wrong in being disappointed. you have every right to be. you are correct that the diver does have to take some responsibility for themsleves. they always should. and i cannot agree more about what you said about saying no to any situation you are are not comfortable with. but when you are paying for training, have been away from diving for that long, and being put in an environment you have not dived in, the shop and the instructor should have taken extra care when planning and executing your course.

in my opinion, you should not have even been in open water to begin with. you should have done a pool session to do your refresher, then add the dry suit so you could familiarize yourself with how it works, how it feels, adjust your weight, and see if it leaks. then if all goes well you could plan a couple of shallower dives in open water before moving to the goal of doing that 100 footer. but thats just my opinion. what do i know. :)

It's been a long time since I stopped working as a scuba instructor, but I think all your concerns and comments are justified.

I think that the instructor should have done much more to make your dives a better experience. Not keeping track of you on descent is a big failure. A poorly fitting drysuit makes everything harder and I think you handled the dives as well as could be expected. You should have had or been been provided with a computer. A 30 m deep dive is too adventurous for a refresher dive in my opinion, especially considering your experience and obvious problems with drysuit and fins.

Given the gear problems it was probably a mistake for the instructor to even take you on those dives

Your take aways are all good. Another thing you could consider is finding a shop that can hire you a drysuit and other gear that fits so you can get more experience and make sure you want to do that sort of diving before spending lots of money. Local dive clubs, if they exist where you are, may also be a useful resources.

I really like diving in cold water locations and Norway is probably not too far away for you and has a lot of nice diving.

Did you read the thread about the young woman who drowned in the US VERY overweighted in a drysuit with no inflator hose on the suit? Your situation reminds me of that.

Did I read correctly that your refresher was done in a drysuit?
I did, and that's actually what made me think again about my own course. If I knew that this was a one time mess up, then I wouldn't really care much. Then I just wasted my money and got a certification level I shouldn't have with the dives that I did.
And yes, refresher was a drysuit dive to 30m.

Was this a PADI AOW course? Did he pass you after two aborted dives?
Yes and yes.

Local dive clubs, if they exist where you are, may also be a useful resources..
I have been wondering a bit how to progress from this, but I'll probably be joining a dive club not so far away from me. They seem active and they do their own courses for members as well. I'm kinda hoping that some more experienced people might want to help me get better.

Your refresher should have been in a pool. No drysuit. 30 meter dive as a “refresher” when you’d never been in a drysuit before? I’ll go out on a limb and say your instructor was an idiot.

Wow.

I’m glad you had the presence of mind to thumb the dives.

not sure why the boots you had did not fit the fins. did you not try on all the gear at the store ? this is a no brainer. always try on any rental gear to make sure it will work for you. the store should have made sure you did.
I tried on the boots, but didn't think of putting my fins on as well. I tried on everything else and it fit fine, apart from the drysuit of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom