Caribbean Destinations/Liveaboards for Disabled Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

downinFL

Registered
Reaction score
We are looking for tips on liveaboards (preferably) or dive resorts which are particularly good with disabled divers. My wife was in a traffic accident some years ago which crushed a total of 8 spinal discs (cervical and lumbar). As the nerves atrophy, she finds herself more and more dependent on a power wheelchair, though she can walk with a cane, slowly negotiate stairs (not steep ladders) with difficulty. She does a forward-roll off the dive platform;if she shucks her BC while still in the water, she can manage the boarding stairs on a fairly stable liveaboard (but coming over the side of a rockin' and rollin' skiff or zodiac would be out of the question). She's got more guts than I: she just passed the 100-dive mark after 3 years of diving. She says diving is the only sport left to her -- because of the weightlessness underwater.

Long airline flights are a problem, so we're likely looking in the Carib.

We have tried Nekton -- their advertisements implying "handi-friendly" are a bad joke. The crew works to overcome a lot of shortcomings, but there is only so much they can do, given the raw material they have to work with. (Best not go further into that one -- some real raw nerves.)

Peter Hughes' Sea Dancer operation in Provo, Turks & Caicos, was a great experience, but they aren't running out of Provo any more.

Does anyone have any suggestions -- either direct observations or heard on the grapevine -- for handi-friendly dive operations? The one or two I found on this site are either 2 or more years old and/or link to dead websites (e.g., moraywheels.org).

Would greatly appreciate any leads I can follow.

Many thanks!

Once when I was at Little Cayman Beach Resort there was a couple there for 2 weeks, the man was in a wheel chair. I don't know much about this but I'm assuming they did their research and there were reasons they chose the place. They were snorkeling rather than diving, but he would roll on down to the boat and they lifted him onto the boat. They gave him great service. A lot of the place seems relatively wheelchair friendly, boardwalks and sidewalks all over without steps. I don't recall about getting into the main building/dining area, that might require a few steps, but if a few can be managed that should be ok. There's probably a way around that that I'm not remembering. It would probably be better to aim for a time of year of calmer waters there, I think winter is more likely to be rough. The hardest might be the little plane to get there.

You would do well to contact CoCoView at Roatan Charter 800 282-8932 or www.cocoviewresort.com It is 2.25 hrs from Houston or Miami.

They have ramps for most buildings, the boats are well arranged, they have some rooms that are usable by wheelchair divers. The shore dive is a favorite of all divers.

In reference to your comments- this is the Caribbean. There are no ADA laws and at CCV, at least, you may have to rely upon occasion for assistance from the staff- unlike the USA which is specified and designed for a do-it-yourself lifestyle. A wheelchair may have to be lifted across a 1 foot gap aboard the boat, I don't know.

Future plans? I do know that they have detailed drawings and are looking forward to executing a lift system to be fitted aboard one boat. The newly planned rooms are designed to be handicapped "convertible".

CoCoView's owner, Bill Evans will listen intently to your ideas and sit at the table with you and show you what he has designed so far. He will ask your opinion and act upon it. He has a goal, indeed. He knows this is important.

I have been diving there with a similarly disabled friend. He finds room #17 at CCV to be his favorite.

I know that the Nekton is keenly aware of your needs and the limitations of ship-board accomodations. I would say you were on the best possible boat that is available at this time. I know they are agonizing over a "lift" elevator, but unfortunately due to their US Flag, there are multiple legalities that are difficult if not impossible to overcome due to size of the ship. They're aware.

I have also run into a handicapped divers group at Sea Space, and Jim Hoser from Pennsylvania takes handicapped divers to CCV all the time. Call Roatan Charter and talk to them about your concerns, maybe they can put you in touch with Jimmy and he can add a lot to your quest.

As always, share your new information on this group!

downinFL:
We are looking for tips on liveaboards (preferably) or dive resorts which are particularly good with disabled divers. My wife was in a traffic accident some years ago which crushed a total of 8 spinal discs (cervical and lumbar). As the nerves atrophy, she finds herself more and more dependent on a power wheelchair, though she can walk with a cane, slowly negotiate stairs (not steep ladders) with difficulty. She does a forward-roll off the dive platform;if she shucks her BC while still in the water, she can manage the boarding stairs on a fairly stable liveaboard (but coming over the side of a rockin' and rollin' skiff or zodiac would be out of the question). She's got more guts than I: she just passed the 100-dive mark after 3 years of diving. She says diving is the only sport left to her -- because of the weightlessness underwater.

Long airline flights are a problem, so we're likely looking in the Carib.

We have tried Nekton -- their advertisements implying "handi-friendly" are a bad joke. The crew works to overcome a lot of shortcomings, but there is only so much they can do, given the raw material they have to work with. (Best not go further into that one -- some real raw nerves.)

Peter Hughes' Sea Dancer operation in Provo, Turks & Caicos, was a great experience, but they aren't running out of Provo any more.

Does anyone have any suggestions -- either direct observations or heard on the grapevine -- for handi-friendly dive operations? The one or two I found on this site are either 2 or more years old and/or link to dead websites (e.g., moraywheels.org).

Would greatly appreciate any leads I can follow.

Many thanks!
Peter Hughes' former Sea Dancer now operates as Caribbean Explorer II from St. Maarten, doing the St Kitts-Statia-Saba route.

Kona Aggressor is also very handicap friendly, if that's not too far to fly.

Check out the Handicapped Scuba Association's site HSA Travel and Trips There they list a few (Diva Tiara Beach -- Cayman Brac, Flamingo -- Bonaire), but if you contact them, they'll help you find more. A group from Ottawa are headed to Stuart Cove (Sp?) in January, so that's another possibility too.

As a DM for HSA I am constantly impressed with the enthusiasm and skill sets from divers less able than "normal" diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom