Caribbean Shallow, Accessible and Abundant Sea Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Key Largo: the coral is not "wiped out". The current state of coral reefs worldwide is a serious issue, and the reefs from Florida to Cozumel have been experiencing something unusual recently. But it's not as if all the reefs have disappeared. If you need a low-stress diving environment to allow your wife to develop skills and confidence, I 100% agree with the Key Largo recommendation. Cost, ease of access (why leave the country?), top medical care, plenty of dive ops, shallow reefs, tons of life... it's a no brainer.

Cancun and hand grenades: I just got home from Cozumel late last night. I was there for the past week. I didn't see or hear or hear of any hand grenades. Or any kind of cartel activity. Granted, it's not exactly Cancun... but it's the same neighborhood. Oh, and our flight was full. So if there's a problem with the Cancun/Cozumel area, it seems the majority of people travelling there have no knowledge of it.

Keep in mind that anything you hear about in the popular media will have been "spiced up" to grab your attention.

However... even assuming there are no hand grenades or any cartel activity in Cancun, I still vote Key Largo >> Cancun for what your wife needs.

So, some of you DON'T know - okay my friend - here is a link to an article about just one hand grenade attack this past November in a Cancun bar. (URL if above link doesn't work: GRAPHIC -- Four Injured in Grenade Attack at Cancun Bar)

Here is another link (GRAPHIC -- Cancun Wraps 2018 with At Least 540 Homicides)

I

"Any less stressful than sliding off a step of a boat, all positively buoyant, floating till you’re relaxed enough to slowly deflate and.....no- no Bonaire shore dive is easier than that simple entry."

Disagree, but different strokes for different folks.

Walk down the steps at Capt. Don's. Stand in waist deep water until you're comfortable. Sit down until you're comfortable. Stand up and walk out if you don't like the arrangements or swim out over the sand in 10'-20' and look at the cool critters there until you're comfortable, or spend your entire dive there - I've done that lots of times. There are odd beasties living in that sand and in the mooring blocks. Swim 100' to the top of the reef in 30'-40' of water, hang out there - it's a good place to spend your entire dive.

Most of the major resorts, Don's, Buddy, Den Laman, Sand dollar, etc. have docks with steps you can use to ease into shallow water at your own pace, and under control.

If/when you feel like you want to expand horizons, do some of the easier walk-in-the-sand (Plaza, Pink Beach come to mind) sites. Or don't. Make a week of Bari Reef - lots of worse things you could do.

No need to float around on the surface - I hate-hate-hate doing that. No need to manage a free descent. No chance to bobo and do a negative entry (after the "helpful" divemaster turns your air "on").

Bonaire is not for everybody, in fact I think I might be past doing some of the heavier lifting shore dives after this past trip - I'm old. But you can make it some of the most benign and easy diving you'll ever do - if you want to.

Airfare is awful, though.

My friend, this is a very helpful post, and I read entire thing, but where exactly is all this?

My friend, this is a very helpful post, and I read entire thing, but where exactly is all this?

In Bonaire

oops, sorry.

Bonaire.

Captain Don's, Buddy Dive, Plaza, Sand Dollar, Den Laman are dive resorts on Bonaire, all on the leeward west side of the island. Each of them have what is known as a "house reef", usually accessed via a dock with steps into the water. Some have a rope or pipe laid on the bottom from the dock to the edge of the drop off to serve as a navigational aid (for night dives mostly).

Den Laman is not a big as the others, but is a very nice set of condo's/studio apartments. Bari Reef is the house reef. It is said to have the largest count of species in Caribbean (no idea if that is true, but it is a very nice dive).

Getting there is $$$.

You can sorta see the dock behind us. This is either Don's or Buddy, 2 weeks ago. I don't remember which.

(I liked the margarita at Don's better than Buddy)

sunset.jpg

I see this as a post better suited to the forum, “Newer Divers and Overcoming _______”.

I know of no physical explanation for any given specific depth over and beyond any other depth that would create or increase the symptomology of what you describe, if it’s happening at 75’, it will happen at 10’. Now, you’ve spoken with a Physician, so they’ve ruled out medical causes such as a weakened Cardiac Sphincter.

If a diver is swallowing air, yes that can complicate buoyancy to the very small extent represented by the volume of air that a human stomach can hold. At the high end (without breakfast and in a male) that amounts to 1 liter.

That liter is not much air to compensate for by adding a bit more lead weight, pre-dive.

To look for a dive site based on the premise that it is easier to manage hyper buoyant objects at shallower depths is faulty on its face. It becomes easier to manage buoyancy once past the shallows, that magic number is different for every body type (wetsuit thickness, body fat and whatever amt of stomach gas retained), but many people stumble past this into “stasis” at 18fsw.

If stress is causing her to swallow air, I do not see any shore dive entry as suggested above in Bonaire to be a stress reducer of any fashion. They are quite simple by any standard, but they do have unique challenges can be quite stressful just to start, and adding stressors of the actual dive beginning inherent to that entry. Lots of new stuff. Any less stressful than sliding off a step of a boat, all positively buoyant, floating till you’re relaxed enough to slowly deflate and.....no- no Bonaire shore dive is easier than that simple entry.

So, in my experience, a shallow dive profile will complicate the inherent inability of a newb to present a flat dive profile, and will always result in a sawtooth pattern, usually with the diver making ongoing uncontrolled ascents followed by repeated fights downward.

As to having her stomach contents appearing in her esophagus and mouth? That tells me a few more things. Number one is: her stomach was not empty, so let’s cut that theoretical max buoyancy of 1 Liter down to a more realistic 1/2 Liter. The other huge factor is: What’s her u/w attitude? Gravity dictates that she is “head down”, otherwise she wouldn’t be burping her biscuits. She is probably head down because of over-buoyancy. Easy answer: stop doing that.

The lifetime, overall, simplest fix for your intended lifetime dive buddy? Get her a one-on-one instructor who is a real-deal expert on buoyancy. Not all of them are, you haven’t found one, yet.

Also find an instructor of an empathic nature. Your dive buddy needs to find a path to relax, calm down, and decide if this is what she wants. If you can combine this with. “Naturalist” Course, something to distract her from that “diving thing”, she just might forget about burping.

Fix the problem, don’t avoid the symptom.

Thanks for your feedback - it's tough to lay out all the parameters in a forum like this and you make many good points - basically find and fix the problem.

Here are some more parameters: I purposely wanted her to learn in shallow warm water to ease the newbie lessons. We trained (I joined class as refresher) in little cove on Grand Cayman that had some surge and was 12 feet deep. She was compelled to drop down to 12' for her first breaths. That was a mistake. Her anxiety in that little cove was high and I can't blame her. If I had to do over I would have had her train in one of the operations dedicated to training in GC that has a pool. She was constantly ascending and descending to 12' that first day, and her acid reflux became horrific. Change in pressure is greatest in first 10 feet. She toughed it out for day two but we had to see doctor on third day. Medicine got her under control a bit - one was to be taken in morning to empty her stomach, and second was a powerful med. (I guess used for chemo patients) that fights acid, sea-sickness, etc. They worked pretty darn well. But, her anxiety was peaked again when plunging off back of boat. I agree that scenario may still be better than shore diving, but the main point is to really ease her into this sport under the most alluring conditions possible - calm, shallow, warm, lots of fish. She is going in for some kind of checkup soon and we are going to bore in on causes of this heartburn.

Thanks for your feedback - it's tough to lay out all the parameters in a forum like this and you make many good points - basically find and fix the problem.

Here are some more parameters: I purposely wanted her to learn in shallow warm water to ease the newbie lessons. We trained (I joined class as refresher) in little cove on Grand Cayman that had some surge and was 12 feet deep. She was compelled to drop down to 12' for her first breaths. That was a mistake. Her anxiety in that little cove was high and I can't blame her. If I had to do over I would have had her train in one of the operations dedicated to training in GC that has a pool. She was constantly ascending and descending to 12' that first day, and her acid reflux became horrific. Change in pressure is greatest in first 10 feet. She toughed it out for day two but we had to see doctor on third day. Medicine got her under control a bit - one was to be taken in morning to empty her stomach, and second was a powerful med. (I guess used for chemo patients) that fights acid, sea-sickness, etc. They worked pretty darn well. But, her anxiety was peaked again when plunging off back of boat. I agree that scenario may still be better than shore diving, but the main point is to really ease her into this sport under the most alluring conditions possible - calm, shallow, warm, lots of fish. She is going in for some kind of checkup soon and we are going to bore in on causes of this heartburn.

LCBR does have a fresh water pool that they sometimes use for training, but they also have a dive well in the pier that may be used for training, see pics below:

LCBRpier.jpg

LCBR.jpg

Cayman Brac Beach Resort has a spectacular infinity pool that they often use for training, see pic below

Wherever you decide to go, make reservations for training with the dive op in advance to make sure they can accommodate you.

Just a couple of comments. If she decides that diving isn't right for her, then there is not much to do on either LC or CB except sleep, eat, and relax. If you want other topside attractions available then GC is the best option in the Caymans.

Also, Cayman is a first-world country with modern healthcare and they have a small, 18-bed hospital on Brac and a health clinic on Little Cayman. They can transfer you by boat from LC to CB if necessary as they are not very far apart. But if you need more extensive care, or chamber services, then you will have to fly back to Grand Cayman and you should wait 18 hours before flying after diving. In emergencies I understand that they will arrange a helicopter flight from LC or CB but it will be expensive - make sure you have DAN insurance wherever you decide to go. Also planes can't fly in/out of LC after dark because the small airfield is unlighted. Brac has a larger, modern, lighted airport that can accept many aircraft including jets.

The commuter flights between the Sister Islands and GC are short (half hour) but if immediate access to extensive modern medical care is very important to you - then you are better off staying on Grand Cayman.

CBBR_pool_sunset.jpg

On Grand Cayman - Cobalt Coast, Lighthouse Point, and Sunset House all have onsite dive ops and house reefs for shore diving that may also be used for training. Cobalt Coast also has a fresh water pool but the shore dive at CC can get winded out - especially in the late fall, winter, and early spring - because of the winter winds.

DiveTech is the dive op at both Lighthouse Point and the Holiday Inn, which has a pool, and you also will have access to their Lighthouse Point shore dive.

FYI, DiveTech offers an extensive family and kids dive training program, see below, so if they are used to working a lot with children they might be able to help your wife overcome her nerves; just an idea.

https://www.divetech.com/kids

However most dive ops offer Discover Scuba experiences to new people, so maybe that's not so important. We've had good experiences with many dive ops throughout Cayman over many years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom