Carl Gage Scuba Centre, Key Largo--Who Remembers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hy folks. I just stumbled across the Carl Gage thread and wanted to add what I know. In 2000 I bought some rural, isolated property in Aguanga Ca., 17 miles east of Temecula Ca. I lived in a Mobile home on one side and across a ridge was a small(20 foot) trailer I rented to Carl Gage.
I got to know him and he told me of his interesting life in Florida with the dive shops and of his switching to balloons. He was pretty much a hermit and spent his days reading and writing.He had an old bread truck filled with diving equipment parked outside. I was working a lot and generally only saw him on the first when I went over to collect the rent. As the first rolled around, I went over to Carl's place and discovered that Carl has passed away.All the authorities were notified and the place was roped off. I waited a period of time and called Riverside County coroner's to find out what was going on. They said he died of natural causes and that they couldn't locate any heirs so his estate was going to the county. Carl had mentioned to me that his only relative was a brother back East and I was determined that the county shouldn't get his estate. I entered the trailer and poked around, finding a Christmas card from some friends in Miami. I then called Miami directory assistance and asked if they had a listing for the name on the card. They did and I called the couple and explained the circumstances. They said they would try to contact the brother and several days later I got a call from Carl's brother who got things straightened out. His brother told me that Carl had been kicked out of the house at age 15 for sticking up for his abused little sister and joined the merchant marine. He was truly 'one of a kind". If anyone wants more info, feel free to contact me at mikedesertdog1@gmail.com

What an awesome thread! Thanks!

Where are all the characters now?? Well, we still have Slate!

I was wondering whatever happened to Carl Gage and found this thread. I didn't know him from the diving days. I took ballooning lessons from him. What a character. i remember him yelling at these young women crewing for him hauling out all the heavy gear and propane tanks. "You need to get some meat on those bones". he wasn't exactly politically correct. I bought a balloon from him in 1984 and used to hang out at his shop in Costa Mesa, Cal. I remember one time he complained to me that all the stores were closed on Thursday and he was frustrated and couldn't understand why so many places were closed until he remembered it was Thanksgiving.

I met Carl Gage in 1972 when I moved to Key Largo. All that thought of him as larger than life were correct.
Just to straighten out some info, Carl Gage sold his business in 1975. Pete Gage (his son) died in 1975 along with Mel Fisher's oldest son Dirk and his wife Angel,when a tug working on the Atocha took on water during the night and rolled over.
Carl's shop was not where Quiesence (Key Largo Diving Hdqrs) is now. Ocean Divers occupied his shop for many years which is beside the Tom Thumb store. Steven Frink U/W Photography is there now. Harry Keitz Sr started the store where Key Largo Diving Hdqrs/ Quiesence is now. The Keitzs' (Sr & Jr) moved to MM 106 and opened American Dive Hdqrs. Ocean Divers bought them out and still occupy that building. Bill Crawford moved in and started Key Largo Diving Hqrs. When he moved to Largo Sound Quiesence moved in and has been there since.
FYI The local Keys Historian in gathering historical info on the diving in the Keys. If you have something to add his email is Jerry142@terranova.net.
Safe Bubbles,
Ike

Thank you for clarifying things Ike. I confused Carl Gage with Bill Crawford, my mistake. Thinking back I dove quite a few times in the early 1970's with Bill through Key Largo Diving Headquarters but never with Carl. I just recall swimming across Carl on the reef a few times in that great wet suit in larger than life persona. I hooked up with KLDH through the Underseas Sports Dive Club started by Chuck Ciphery, another memorable personality in diving.

Y'all made me go check one of my old log books. During the week of December 28, 1972 a small number of former military/research divers was collecting data for UNCW's biology department (or could have been the Marine BioMedical Lab, I don't say in my log and I sure as Hell don't remember). On the 29th we dove somewhere on Molasses with Carl Gage and then on a "deep" reef the following day with him. I primarily remember his bald head on the bridge of the boat.
I think we camped at Calusa Campground as best I remember.
We also dove at that little cutout beach at Pennecamp. At the time there was a volkswagen and some type of station wagon car submerged over on the south/east side of the cutout. We also stayed at what was the Diver's Dorm which is where Quiesence is now. There were some trailers out back they rented to couples and girls as best I remember. That could have been a later trip.
Then we moved on to Key West and everything is a blur from that point on......
Mike

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2013 at 11:36 PM ----------

Even better a copy of Skin Diver magazine fell out with the dive log from 1972. Jet fins for 21.00 dollars and Rocket fins for 20.00....Micronesia for 425 dollars for 14 days...the Fenzy M3 was new for the year....(I had one of those by the way)
Mike

I know this is a very old thread, but I just saw if for the first time today. I learned to dive and was NAUI certified by Carl Gage back in the early 70's, probably '72. My boyfriend and I were both getting certified, and since we had no money, we worked in the shop for free to pay for our certification. We both were able to do a lot of diving since we were taking out tours. He didn't have many women taking out tours, but I was able to go out when my boyfriend got sick. My boyfriend and I were staying in the John Pennecamp campground while we were doing this. Such great memories, I wanted to comment.

I moved to St. Thomas shortly thereafter, which had incredible diving. You could walk to the reef from the shore. Haven't done any diving in years. Maybe this will inspire me.

Always remembered the big dive tank in the front of the shop. As for Bill Crawford, dont forget his shop Tiki Isle that was in a maria/restaurant of the same name. When that closed he moved his shop and renamed it Tropic Isle dive shop. Did a few dives out of his shop in the mid/late 70's. He was a big guy and wore a small speedo! Also drove a cool VW dune buggy.

I know this is a very old thread, but I just saw if for the first time today. I learned to dive and was NAUI certified by Carl Gage back in the early 70's, probably '72. My boyfriend and I were both getting certified, and since we had no money, we worked in the shop for free to pay for our certification. We both were able to do a lot of diving since we were taking out tours. He didn't have many women taking out tours, but I was able to go out when my boyfriend got sick. My boyfriend and I were staying in the John Pennecamp campground while we were doing this. Such great memories, I wanted to comment.

I moved to St. Thomas shortly thereafter, which had incredible diving. You could walk to the reef from the shore. Haven't done any diving in years. Maybe this will inspire me.

Gee Carol, we probably passed each other in the dive shop. If we ever figure out time travel I will go back and say "hi". We also brought some UNCC students down and stayed somewhere in Key Largo and dived with somebody in Key Largo but that's all I got....
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom