Carnival Conquest 9/23-29: Nassau, HMC, Grand Turk, Amber Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoasterFreak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Alright amigos! We just booked a lastish-minute (for us) cruise today, and i have the problem (woe is me) now of having to choose a couple ports to dive in. I figure HMC is off the list, and I read a lot about GT being top of list (assume Oasis is best from the ship). But...how about Amber Cove vs. Nassau? What do y'all think? And for each, assuming I don't want to go along with the Carnival excursion crew, what shop is best for getting to the best dives there?

Thanks in advance!

I would go with the ship excursion for Amber Cove as it is a specific Carnival built resort-port-stop and the only dive shops I would recommend are in Punta Cana and La Romana which would be too far of a drive for the limited time. Also, Grand Turk Diving is a wonderful shop that I use whenever I'm cruising into Grand Turk. I did Oasis as a last minute excursion just this past week and they were also good. Jason from Grand Turk Diving and Roger from Oasis are both great Divemasters.

The only diving from port Amber Cove, is up in Puerto Plata. Carnival did have scuba excursions a few yrs ago, but they stopped as the reviews were horrible. Long travel to dive shop, then long wait to get on boat, mediocre diving to boot. So I haven't seen the port show diving for over a year. (we have been to port twice in that time) So my personal opinion is skip diving at Amber Cove. The port is on north side of island and not known for diving anyhow... better diving is on southeast of island (several hours through mountains so don't even think about trying to get there from AC.) Just enjoy the port, or do an excursion in area. Its a lovely island with nice people, great food. Diving, not so much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom