DIR- GUE Carry 24 pounds on my waist belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with a Halcyon SS plate and wing and 20 lbs of lead. 2 x 5 lbs on the lower cam bands and 2 x 5 lbs in Halcyon trim pockets on the waist belt. I want to switch to an aluminum backplate, which I think is 2 lbs, so I will need to carry 24 lbs.

I'm aware of these DiveRite pockets which appear to do the trick: 32 lb QB Weight Pockets | Dive Rite

Any other thoughts on how to carry 24 lbs on the waistbelt?
I also want a D-ring on the left for my SPG and plan to get a canister light one day. Until then I'll use a hose rod.

You can get the Halcyon weight pockets which include the Dring on the left hip.. you should be able to get 10lbs into each pocket.

I’m guessing an aluminum tank, and drysuit in cold water?

Why the thought to an aluminum plate when you require that much weight to begin with?

_R

Thanks for all of the replies. I've been away diving for the past few days and only now can respond.

I dive single steel 100s, in a drysuit, with DUI XM450 heavy undergarments.

Why do I want to move weight to the waist belt? I have 2 x 5 lbs in 2 trim pockets on my lower cam band now. I find that when I stop moving and float completely still, I tip forward. If I move the weight back towards my waist, I might not tip as much.

Why do I want to move to an aluminum backplate? The Halcyon SS backplate is 6 lbs and is distributed all over my torso. Moving to a 2 lb aluminum backplate and then putting the remaining 4 pounds on my waist will move my center of mass down towards my waist. I might not tip.

I have the Halcyon weighted STA insert. It's nice, but again it puts the weight on my torso and not further down my body. It won't help my tipping problem.

Someone mentioned the Halcyon ACB pockets. The ones I have only take 5 pounds per pocket.

Have you considered that the tipping might be caused by your position in the water, rather than the placement of lead? When you are in trim: Pull shoulderblades back towards eachother (Or, T*ts out), arch your lower back, tighten those glutes, and strech your legs so they are flatter... elongate them. This might be the difference in pose that lets you control the tipping point. (Usually people have their knees too bent, and their heels too far up towards their tank bottoms. This causes a shift in balance point and you tip over...)

For almost everyone having the weight across your back is the optimum location. It should only take small amounts of weight shift to tweak your horizontal trim. I would suggest diving with a GUE instructor or experienced diver before trying to solve what is likely a technique issue with equipment changes.

Someone mentioned the Halcyon ACB pockets. The ones I have only take 5 pounds per pocket.
Take a look at the diverite pockets. They have a version that's 16lb (8lbs per pocket) and a version that's 20lb (10lbs per pocket). I use the 16lb version.
20 lb QB Weight Pocket | Dive Rite
16 lb QB Weight Pocket | Dive Rite

They can be mounted horizontal or vertical just like the halycon. I've put 20lbs in my 16 lb pockets repeatedly (back when I worked at an aquarium and needed to be very negatively buoyant). Never had one of the pockets release unintentionally, and I pull them out after every dive for cleaning/storage. They have a D-Ring on them so you can eliminate a waist mount d-ring if you have one and use this one. I've used the d-rings many times, nothing special to it.

Cave adventures has them for just under $100 if you want to get them online. I think that's a bit more than I paid at my local shop, but memory is fuzzy because that was 7 or 8 years ago.

Thanks for all of the replies. I've been away diving for the past few days and only now can respond.

Why do I want to move weight to the waist belt? I have 2 x 5 lbs in 2 trim pockets on my lower cam band now. I find that when I stop moving and float completely still, I tip forward. If I move the weight back towards my waist, I might not tip as much.

Why do I want to move to an aluminum backplate? The Halcyon SS backplate is 6 lbs and is distributed all over my torso. Moving to a 2 lb aluminum backplate and then putting the remaining 4 pounds on my waist will move my center of mass down towards my waist. I might not tip.

I have the Halcyon weighted STA insert. It's nice, but again it puts the weight on my torso and not further down my body. It won't help my tipping problem.

What fins are you using? How much air in the drysuit?

I agree with @RTodd here, you need to work with an instructor or really good mentor to see what is causing the tipping, moving the lead back is not the solution

Why are you switching to an aluminum plate when you already need so much lead?
That was my immediate reaction as well. As long as the rig can float with a full bladder, I'd put as much weight as possible on the rig. Any weight reduction on the rig (e.g. switching from a steel plate to an Al plate) should be compensated by adding lead to the rig. So why switch to Al?

In a drysuit with cold water undergarments, you'll still be very buoyant, so if you (like me) prefer to have ditchable weight, there won't be a problem.

I struggled a bit with my doubles to concentrate weight low down, having head heavy trim. But doubles are known for that. I use the Halcyon V-weight pouch with weight in the lower pocket only so I have thought about switching to Al and moving that weight difference into the lower pocket.

I don’t have the problem on my single setup, whether using Al80 or HP100. I’m able to stuff 7.5 lbs into the Halcyon ACB though. I also need Jetfins to give me enough weight low.

I’m wondering if the Halcyon V-weight pouch could be used here as an extended P-weight? Normally it fits between the wing and doubles, but it has the correct bolt spacing and perhaps could fit in the valley the other side of the BP while extending below the bottom edge, which is what you need.

I’m assuming you’ve also worked on tank position relative to the BCD? What about controlling the amount of air in your legs, like gaiters or fin keepers?

One can also toss a few lbs on the back of the crotch strap... I used to do that for some specifically horrible tanks in freshwater.

2nd (or triple) what fins are you using??

_R

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom