DIR- GUE Carry 24 pounds on my waist belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with @RTodd here, you need to work with an instructor or really good mentor to see what is causing the tipping, moving the lead back is not the solution
That seems odd to me. If your rig is not balanced, you're going to be fighting it every dive and you'll never be able to be still without tipping. What skill could make up for that?

OP here. I use Jet Fins. There's just enough air in my drysuit to prevent squeeze and keep warm. I don't feel like I have gas in my boots.

I'm sure there are minor changes I can make with body position, but overall it's probably pretty good. That's the feedback I get from GUE instructors.

I'm confused why my plan sounds alarming. Moving my center of mass further towards my waist seems reasonable. I'll also experiment with putting some of the weight at the bottom of my backplate, but I also want to try putting it on my waist.

Just a few thoughts, may or may not apply to everyone's gear. OP, have you tried moving the tank(s) back or the wing or bp forward? Small adjustments can make a big difference.

If you're not using a can light, have you considered keeping the ACB and adding more weight directly to the harness waist belt itself?

When I'm in singles, I'll use the ACB pocket on the left side but not on the right side because I use a canister light. I'll just add weights to right side next to the canister and retain everything with a buckle. I can envision adding weight to the left side next to the ACB, which would be non-ditchable, but fine with me. I can easily add 5 pounds or more to each side.

Obvious question - what about a weight belt? I don't use them myself, and often ride higher than my harness belt anyway.

If you're not using a can light, have you considered keeping the ACB and adding more weight directly to the harness waist belt itself?
<snip>
Obvious question - what about a weight belt? I don't use them myself, and often ride higher than my harness belt anyway.

Yes, right now I add weight directly to the waist belt. It works. I could indeed us a combo of that and ACB pockets. Good idea.

I've tried a weight belt, but it gets unwieldy with that and the harness competing for space.

Move 4 pounds onto your hips first. You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes. Don't do all 24 pounds immediately

That seems odd to me. If your rig is not balanced, you're going to be fighting it every dive and you'll never be able to be still without tipping. What skill could make up for that?

Fins, being at the end of really long levers, have an outsized influence on fore-aft trim
Using your suit for buoyancy will magnify this even further
Putting the tank in the STA at the wrong height, more of the same
Banging your head in the 1st stage and then dropping it at the neck, same
Not arching your back properly, ditto

There are A LOT of influences on fore-aft trim. Without at a bare minimum seeing some in water pictures or video, focusing on the lead is missing the bigger picture. Most beginner BP/W divers (actually everyone) have a hard time understanding what is going on with the other trim pieces behind them. Moving lead might be the solution. But I can pretty much guarantee that the "need" to switch to an Ali plate with a single steel tank and heavy drysuit is a mistake. Something else besides or in addition to the lead is having a negative influence on trim

Do you have doubles right now? You mentioned you're going for your Tech Pass in the canister light thread you started.

Doubles will be a little different in respect to trim and stability compared to your single tank setup. Will you be using HP100s or LP85s for your doubles rig? Perhaps talk to Beto and maybe see if you can do a dive with him where he can sort out all of your gear related issues perhaps. Are you on the BAUE FB page? There are some experienced divers that dive Breakwater and Pt. Lobos quite often that might be able to be a mentor for you.

I was in the same boat as you just a few years ago and had a million questions. Luckily I had some mentors that helped sort me out with gear questions and also some in water coaching.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom