Carry lobster hotel, tickle stick, net and speargun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BAMA6977

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How do you carry/attach lobster hotel, tickle stick, net and speargun?? Hints on giant stride with all of this??

and don't forget the dive flag....(smile) (grin)...use lots of clips and sort it all out at the bottom........i'm sure you will get better advice from others...but i only do one thing at a time....lobsters, spearfish, shelling, or enjoying the moment.

Place the gear in the catch bag. Place it on the back deck of the boat, giant stride in, collect the bag and everything else. When you get a bug, put it in the bag. Hang the rest of the stuff off your BC. Delegate half of it to your buddy.

How do you carry/attach lobster hotel, tickle stick, net and speargun?? Hints on giant stride with all of this??

This is how I do it, but I am also carrying a reel with a reef hook and a surface float attached as well. Jumping in with the gear is the least of your worries. Picking up, setting down and using the gear is more problematic. And a word to the wise...

it is so very easy to throw a loaded speargun down on the bottom near a lobster hole (with the tip pointing in a seemingly safe direction) and then have the bug take off out of the hole, make you spin around a rock once or twice and then jet off across the reef in some random direction. And.. as you make your way back to the gun, you find yourself looking down the loaded barrel because you are approaching from a direction that you could not possibly have predicted.

I often carry a pole spear (rather than a tickle stick) and a net and gun. The lobster bag is clipped to your side (hip) in a manner that will allow you to put lobsters in without detaching the bag. Another useful accommodation is to modify the lobster net so it has a very thin handle. I use a piece of pole spear fiberglass because I really need to be able to hold in one hand, the pole spear, the barrel of the gun AND the net handle. If you have the normal "broomstick" handle on the net, your will not have the hand strength to comfortably bundle it all into a compact unit to grasp and carry..Makes a big difference. Also the light should be clipped off on your D-Ring for immediate access.

[video=youtube;FP47PzvpwmY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP47PzvpwmY&feature=share&list=UU1utDku8vJ RJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

These are my configurations.

Always:

*6' Foldspear with short trident tip attached to my right hip
*Mako scissors (doesn't matter the brand, but I bought mako for the attachment) on the underside of right forearm

For only bug hunting:

*Snare clipped to upper right d-ring
*Lobster Motel on my lower left d-ring (I've also stuck hogfish I've caught with the polespear in the motel)

For spearfishing:

*Stringer on my lower left d-ring
*Mesh bag with double ender in bc pocket for random lobster I manage to get out of holes with my hands (favorite way of getting them anyways)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom