Carry-on AL40 tank on Southwest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guruboy

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
has anyone recently taken an AL40 as carry on onto a Southwest Airlines flight?

The tank is empty with no valve. I confirmed with TSA they are OK with it. I called Southwest and the person I spoke with said it wasn't against the Southwest rules.

Would like real life confirmation though...

I'm already checking two more in one bag. And actual luggage in the other.

The biggest issue is that it exceeds the carry on size limitations with Southwest which are 10x16x24. Aside from that, it seems like carrying on tanks can be hit or miss with every screener. Just because it's allowed in the regulations, doesn't mean that the local screener will let it pass.

A 40 is supposed to be 24.75" long. I think it will fit on the diagonal (30.5") if they try to check.

It's always worth a try, I would bring a printout of the TSA regulations just in case.

Just curious, buy why the need to fly with 3 al40's?

I bought them where I am now. Need to take them home (not here).

gotcha, I'd give it a try but be equipped with a printout of the TSA regulations and hope for the best!

Good luck!

If you are considering this then I assume that you can't split the case of "luggage" and place half with the third al40 and then carry on the other half of the luggage?

If you do this please be careful in the overhead bins and make sure it is well secured.

Back
Top Bottom