Carry on scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was hoping for advice on carry on how to carry gear on the trip to Cozumel.

The max size for a carry on (according to American airlines) is 24 x 14 x 9". No way all my scuba gear is going in a bag that size. My fins are 28" long themselves. So I'm thinking about carrying on the most expensive and sensitive stuff, such as my regulator, dive computer, camera, other small items and packing the rest in a suit case.

Or do the airlines make an exception and allow an oversized carry on for this kind of sporting equipment?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

regs, computer, and camera fly with me. Everything else goes in an akona travel bag in the cargo hold.

I pack everything but the fins in a regulation size carry-on. This includes BP/W, 3mm suit, booties, x-shorts, regs, masks(plural), computers, lights, and compass. I never carry a camera. I then pack my fins in a checked bag with my shorts, T-shirts and other misc. crap I carry. Works well, you just have to be creative with the packing like putting computers and such inside the booties, etc.

I wildly flaunt the size/weight limit of carry-on luggage. :) To Cozumel I brought as carry-on my DiveCaddy with my BC, fins, reg, two wetsuits, and the turtle pack filled with assorted things like mask, lights, camera, etc. (And did I mention I still had 3 lb trim weights in that I'd forgotten?) It didn't get searched, but the backpack that had a slew of assorted things in it (including a mini save a dive) got the thrice-over.

BTW... wrenches up to 6 inches long are OK... but 7.5 inches is not. Just so ya know.

Anyway, I keep the important stuff with me -- the clothes can be replaced easily so that's what goes in my suitcase and checked.

If you have a bad back, you could simplify this and carry-on regulator, computer and mask, putting the rest into your luggage and checking it. Those three things are the ones I don't want to have to rent.

Amy -- enjoying her last day in Cozumel! Going home tomorrow. Boo hoo. Last dive was this morning so now it just feels like... waiting. :)

I carry on a megalodon rebreather wherever I travel and have had no issues. It fits in a travelpro crew 8 Travelpro®
All the other stuff go into stowed luggage as I can always rent fins and stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom