Carrying both primary and back-up lights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Goodman-style grip seems a good option. Made a shore dive in the Pacific nine days ago and so greatly appreciated having a flashlight along. It'd be nice to have it secured to my wrist.

I ordered one too. Now I'm thinking about which hand to have it on. I'm right handed and have my computer on my right hand, so I'm leaning on having it on my left. Since I dump air with my dump valve (which is on the left), does this mean I have to switch it to my right for the whole ascent or only switch with each dump or leave it on my left when I dump?
What is generally done?

The Goodman-style grip seems a good option. Made a shore dive in the Pacific nine days ago and so greatly appreciated having a flashlight along. It'd be nice to have it secured to my wrist.

I made my own:

Materials I used:
1. 3mm thick x 40mm wide aluminum (purchased at local hardware store) - cut to the width of the back of my hand and corners and edges filed smooth.

2. 1/8" bungee cord used to secure the torch to the metal bit.

3. 6mm bungee cord used to secure the unit to my hand.

4. short piece of PVC conduit to pass the 6mm bungee through to make it easier to put on and take off and make it more comfortable to grip.

Mine is a variation on this handle:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLjTb2SbR7p6SOE8qKH2c6NQclC_R5k9LndCzcr2YUFZQaJS_1LA.jpg

Will post pictures of what I made when I get home from work.

I have been using it all season and it works great.

-Z

I ordered one too. Now I'm thinking about which hand to have it on. I'm right handed and have my computer on my right hand, so I'm leaning on having it on my left. Since I dump air with my dump valve (which is on the left), does this mean I have to switch it to my right for the whole ascent or only switch with each dump or leave it on my left when I dump?
What is generally done?

It's mostly a matter of preference, I think. In my case I am also right-handed, have my computer on my right wrist, and just keep the light on my right hand the entire dive (exception being when I need to access my right pocket, then the light gets clipped off while still burning.)

I like the arrangement that @happy-diver has but can see no way to set that up on my BCD.

So, one light in BCD pocket and one on back of right hand is the current plan. I ordered the light-holder affair that Mako offers, but I will fabricate one as well, once @Zef posts an image or two of his DIY holder.

Primary in a soft Goodman on my left hand wrist, secondary clipped to my right shoulder D-ring, secured to the harness with bicycle tube. No matter if it's a daytime dive or a night dive.

I always bring a light when diving. If I should forget my primary light, I have my secondary light available. Because it's always there on my BCD.

I almost always carry two dive lights, even on daytime reef dives. I just like having them, and it's nice to be able to hand one off to someone else if a group of us are looking into a crevice in the reef, or if going into a swim through, etc.

I use a DGX 600 in an Oxycheq light sock as my primary. Really comfortable on my hand and plenty bright for my purposes. It's clipped off to my right D-ring when I'm not using it. Backup is a DRIS 1000 lumen light (I think), clipped off to my left D-ring. Both are secured with EPDM retainer loops on my harness so they don't hang down.

Both are secured with EPDM retainer loops on my harness so they don't hang down.

Yep, learned that lesson. The light dangled a few times and got slightly bunged up on rocks; I'm glad the lens wasn't affected.

What is generally done?

Generally the light is held on the left hand when diving with a goodman handle. This leaves your right hand free to donate gas / view your computer / run line / hold a scooter / whatever.

Whenever you have to add/dump gas from your wing, you just slide the light off and temporarily hold it in your right hand. Then you can switch it back after.

I'm thinking to keep the light on whilst dumping from the jacket-style BCD I use. Not sure how facile removal and replacement of the light would be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom