Cart for tanks, DPV, and small stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was thinking on creating a custom cart to pull tanks, DPV, fins, flag, etc, like a block from parking to the beach. Since I dive solo, I can't leave my gear with someone and then go park. So, I need to conveniently haul my gear with me.

The idea was to have a cart that is not attractive enough to walk away but sturdy enough to be reliable.

However, the cart should also slide on sand, like a sleigh. I was thinking of making a bottom flat, and leaving just enough clearance from the ground, so when on concrete, it rolls, when on sand, it is still pull-able.

So, this week I decided to take my drawings to wood and made one:

So, the cart: Cart for scuba tanks and DPV

Loaded with bare minimum gear: Ready to go scuba

So, this is still unpainted. Will try tomorrow how it will do on sand.

PS: Not sure how the wood I chose for the bottom will do under a rain or a puddle...

Looks great, you could make a couple outriggers of some sort that lower into the sand and lock, so it would be difficult for someone to move. Maybe even attach an umbrella to it while it’s sitting on the beach.

I don’t think you accomplish the ugly factor. Lol

It looks like it needs a handle or a rope or something...

I have always thought an extra large dolly would work well. Tanks on the bottom. And an other shelf above

Sand will destroy those front swivel castors really quickly. They aren't sealed bearing castors, and even then, sand will eventually destroy those too.

If you do use it in sand, be sure to disassemble, clean and grease those castors.

_R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom