Castor Sept 14-18 with Underwater Explorers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love that Starfish will run when others won't in the waves. I'm still chained to my desk on a project, Thanks for the conditions report !!
Today wasn't really bad, I would say 2-4, occasionally bigger. The Boynton Inlet was really not that bad. I'm somewhat surprised my AM trip on Loggerhead was cancelled, they also generally go out when it is safe. Maybe most of their divers bailed.

One of the problems with SE Florida is that the majority of divers are local and they can go out whenever they want and skip days that are borderline. I don't blame them, but, even though I am a part time resident, I dive like a visitor and want to get in all the dives I can. I dive in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and West Palm, but that does not always solve all my problems. Sometimes, the logistics, just work against me.

Went out with Loggerhead this morning, did Catacombs in Delray and then outside/inside reef somewhere around Briney Breezes in BB. Flat seas, 85 degree water, visibility a little better than yesterday, 30+ feet, mild north current. Very good dives, couple of Green Turtles, large free swimming Green Moray, huge school of Spadefish, many, many of all the usual reef fish.

I'm planning on going out with Loggerhead again in the morning. Tentative plan is a dive on the Castor, then something else. There's room, take a chance and reserve a spot. Tues and Wed do not currently look very good

I just tried jumping on tomorrow’s (Monday) dive, but looks like they are full on website reservations system. If this changes this evening, let me know - thanks.

I have not dived the Castor. To date I have only dived Lady Luck, The Dan and Sea Emperor, plus multiple reefs. I moved down here from up north and starting to dive as much as possible. Love it down here. A little better visibility than Long Island, NY :)

I have not dived the Castor. To date I have only dived Lady Luck, The Dan and Sea Emperor, plus multiple reefs. I moved down here from up north and starting to dive as much as possible. Love it down here. A little better visibility than Long Island, NY :)
You will love your dive on the Castor, look forward to meeting you tomorrow.

We had a fantastic double on the Castor today off Loggerhead. Great conditions above and below water. There was 70-80 foot vis, nearly no current, you could swim all around. Many Goliath Grouper on and off the wreck, several appearances by a good size Bull Shark, a couple of Southern Rays, bunch of jacks and a modest amount of bait fish. A really good time was had by all, including a new friend from SB, Jeff, @jeffsky29 Looks like I will be going out with Starfish tomorrow morning

As Craig said above, amazing day on Loggerhead dive boat with Captain Jim and crew out of Boynton. Great crew, nice people, calm blue seas, anazing viz, 20+ Goliath Groupers, 2 Bull Sharks that hung around the wreck and Rays off the sand flats - Amazing!!!

And thanks Craig for making me aware if the opening on the boat. Always good to make a new dive friend.

Wow, what a difference a day makes. Went out with Starfish this morning to do a double on the Castor. The water was greenish brown compared to yesterday's blue. The mate, Ren, went down to tie in, found very brisk current with visibility less than 10 feet, he never saw the Castor. A regular on the boat, Alex, went down with his scooter and had no better luck. The entire reef had the same water covering it. The trip was canceled and we went in. This is only the second time in 10 years that I have gotten all the way out to the dive site and have not been able to dive. The great trip to the Castor yesterday made this visit to Florida, you win some and you lose some, you should always try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom