Catalina Circumnavigation announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eponym

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I can't find a reference to this yet on SB, so here's a news flash . . .

Seems that SeaLab Marine Science Foundation is sponsoring Jon Council, Dave Lieberman, and Rene Mousseux in a world-record attempt to circumnavigate Catalina Island on September 30th. Using heated drysuits, rebreathers, and DPVs. Estimated to last one to one-and-a-half days. On behalf of some very worthwhile causes, I should add.

But you can read about it here if you're interested. I'm still not sure what to think, except that my mind recoils from the sheer numbing tedium of following a lead boat at one depth for hours on end. Best wishes to the divers and all the other team members!

(ff this event is already common knowledge, sorry for the duplication)

-Bryan

Yep, the "boys" are serious about attempting this. Of course rather than being DPV-propelled "shark bait" on the back side of the island, yours truly will dive the park that day as usual. Wish Jon, Dave and Rene the best on this attempt though.

Dr. Bill

from Dr. Bill:
Yep, the "boys" are serious about attempting this. Of course rather than being DPV-propelled "shark bait" on the back side of the island, yours truly will dive the park that day as usual. Wish Jon, Dave and Rene the best on this attempt though.
I sailed around the Island once--chartered a boat out of San Diego and took my Dad on a week's outing. It's a great memory, even with the busted water pump, leaking raw water heat exchanger, and other minor annoyances of OPB*.:)

-Bryan

* other people's boats

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom