Catalina Express Checking Weight of Luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wanted to give people a heads up! I departed from the Long Beach landing this morning and they brought a scale to every scuba diver to weigh the gear bag or anything that appeared to be heavy (except tanks). They are trying to get the bags to about 50 lbs or so (even if they never handle it).

I had a dolly with doubles, drysuit bag, and gear bag. My gear bag was the only thing measured and it was 75 lbs. I had to open it up and place individual items on the scale until it reached about 15 lbs for them to accept it. Some of it I was able to distribute but one such became a fourth carry-on... terribly inconvenient. The weight belt was not a part of the weight.

My dive buddy exceeded 50 lbs but they let it slide, so it appears to be discretionary somewhat. Even after all this, I still had to place all gear on the ferry (both trips) without assistance so this new rule doesn't make any sense, and they did not measure the luggage daparting from Avalon. In addition, the boat was nearly empty so load had nothing to do with it.

All SCUBA divers were weighed but light-looking carry-ons were not (such as back packs and so on) of non SCUBA divers.

I asked when they started this policy and it is new since a few weeks ago. If gear has to be broken into lighter payloads then they will allow multiple trips to bring it on-board.

Just a heads up to anyone that plans to be heading there and has a lot to haul.

Edit: The policy of Catalina Express explicitly states that luggage should be 50# or less. I think the only difference here is they are now actually inforcing it.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the information. I rode my bike down to the express on Friday to check out the parking, ($15), and where to drop off gear. I did see the new 50 lb limit posted. Just hope I can keep it close to that weight.

Very interesting. I dove in Catalina on 30 April and had no problems - no scales, but not a lot of divers that day, either. Guess that means a lot more business for the dive shops on the other side.

Wow... I've used the Express for 30 years now and this is the first I remember them doing this. Good thing they aren't weighing some of the passengers (including me!).

I took the 10 am boat. I did not go diving or see any divers but I did see the scale for the first time.

Last edited:
Wow... I've used the Express for 30 years now and this is the first I remember them doing this. Good thing they aren't weighing some of the passengers (including me!).

That's right Dr. Bill, if they had to break up a person to reduce weight it would cost an arm and leg...

I wonder what they are thinking? Don't divers make up a large part of their customer base?

So just to be clear- the weight limit is per item, but multiple items are now being allowed, versus the "only as much as you can carry in one trip" policy?

So just to be clear- the weight limit is per item, but multiple items are now being allowed, versus the "only as much as you can carry in one trip" policy?

I think the "only as much as you can carry in one trip policy" is still in effect, for the most part. When he made me remove items from my gear bag, thus resulting potentially in more than what can realistically be carried in one trip, I asked him how he expects me to to it. He said they'll make an exception and allow multiple trips.

I think they still don't want us bringing multiple trips worth of luggage but if they force us to turn a single trip into multiple then they have only two options: 1) dissallow the 2nd trip forcing us to leave the item behind or 2) make an exception to allow the 2nd trip.

It'll certainly make me rethink my strategy for the trip I'm making out there later this month, but it'll likely be among my last. My gear still weighs the same (and is over 50 lbs) and I don't want two gear bags just to bring the weight down. I still attempted this in 1 trip but it was tremendously difficult. The person in front of me ended up assisting me to keep it going smoothly. I did not plan for it, or expect it -- I never had to -- but now I know!

I wonder what they are thinking? Don't divers make up a large part of their customer base?

IMO they have never been especially diver friendly, which is one reason I go over there less on the express.

Yes, one would think they would be a bit more open to divers but what do I know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom