Catalina Express Checking Weight of Luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I didn't read the whole thread, but I thought I'd chime in because I didn't see the answer in the few pages I did read.

The Coast Guard changed stability rules for passenger vessels effective the first of the year, actually, December 1 of last year. Passengers are now assumed to weigh 185 lbs, up from 165 lbs. That put a hurting on many vessels as they were forced to either prove that THEIR passengers only weighed an average of 165 lbs, or reduce the amount of weight carried by passenger, or some other way to stay in the weight limits. I had to drop the Spree from 149 passengers and 7 crew to 123 passengers and 8 crew. Not a biggie as I would never get underway with so many, but still. The Catalina ferry would be very hurt by this policy as they make their money by carrying passengers, not luggage. My bet is that they are weighing bags in the slow part of the year to justify some weight change during a busier time. something like "but Mr. Coast Guard inspector, none of the bags allowed on the boat weigh more than 50 lbs". The Coast Guard understands dive gear. They make me reduce by 33% the number of passengers for every diver I have onboard.

I doubt the Catalina Express is being unkind to divers, I'm betting that they are trying to find a way around onerous regulations.

Wookie, that would make sense except that at the time this was happening dive boxes were being pulled and checked but many other boxes/freight was not. Residents of the island routinely take large items, fishers take 100qt coolers and tackle, etc. and they were not being weighed. Regardless of the reason, the process was a bit discriminatory. That seems to have subsided after some contact with the Express management.

The basic issue had nothing to do with divers in the beginning, it was just an unintended side-effect.
The mono-hull boats (that frequent two Harbors) carried the lion share of campers. Since all of the luggage had to be loaded into the luggage hold by the crew, weight began to be an issue. A growing number of campers started to use the so-called coffin-cooler that when filled to capacity (150 Quarts), the weight often exceed 100 lbs. So the Catalina Express started to enforce (a long standing) weight and size limitation. Probably after a crew member injury (speculation on my part). Our problem was that most of the divers also used large, wheeled gear boxes that exceeded this weight and size limitation. The difference being the divers carried and loaded their own gear on the larger, twin hulled boats.

I have discussed this with Catalina Express management and although the policy still stands and will be enforced on the mono-hull craft, and as long as the divers do not need assistance, there should be no issue on the twin-hull vessels. Keep in mind, they could still clamp down on all of the fleet but I suspect that as long as the diving community does not cause a problem, we should not have any issues going forward.

We had been making the trek to the island for years. Hauling prctically all the gear we could manage. It was/is a great place to train. And I certainly don't begrudge anyone the right or responsibility to run their business in the manner that they see fit. And as I understand it CE has done their best to maintain the ease of trave for us. And I appreciate that. I just wanted to make sure before I buy my ticket, reserve my hotel, and park my car, that their still gonna let me and my gear on the boat.

................... Keep in mind, they could still clamp down on all of the fleet but I suspect that as long as the diving community does not cause a problem, we should not have any issues going forward.

This is so true Dave. On my last trip I saw a group of 3-4 divers who were using very large hand trucks/dollies. These had trays for their tanks behind the handles, plus gear bags and other items on the front, a couple stacked 5-6 ft high. They needed help from the crew to navigate the gang planks. They also had a second set of wheels so they rolled at about a 45 degree angle (4 wheeled carts are not allowed due to the rolling issue while at sea). This obviously flies in the face of the regulations, and will do nothing to help keep the Express from having to crack down harder. We as divers need to take some responsibility here, and not flagrantly violate the spirit of those regulations.

Dave (Teamcasa) outlines the very valid point that Catalina Express has regarding overweight loads in the monohulls where crew must load baggage into the interior compartments. I think Catalina Express has done a good job of addressing the concerns of divers regarding this.

I boarded an Express boat yesterday coming back from "the Big Island" ("Lost" Angeles to the rest of you) carrying a huge piece of art for a friend. The crew didn't even try to check it... they figured if an old geezer divebum could carry the thing, it couldn't weigh more than a few pounds!

I have discussed this with Catalina Express management and although the policy still stands and will be enforced on the mono-hull craft, and as long as the divers do not need assistance, there should be no issue on the twin-hull vessels. Keep in mind, they could still clamp down on all of the fleet but I suspect that as long as the diving community does not cause a problem, we should not have any issues going forward.

I've experienced it before when we were scheduled to depart Avalon via the larger two-hull boat but for whatever reason we were serviced by a series of smaller boats instead. The crew was much more sensitive to the weighting but didn't raise too much of a stink (this was long before the original post in this thread).

I suspect the rule is relatively universal just in-case a smaller boat where the crew loads the lower decks has to substitute for one of the larger boats.

Hi All,
FWIW, We made the trip this past weekend. Long Beach, Downtown to Avalon. We were on the smaller of the Catamaran vessels both ways. We took gear bags, drysuit bags, Doubles with deco. 40's... on carts, and our overnight bags. No problems with CE whatsoever. In fact the crew even offered to help us. Just like the old days. Of course we did get stranded in Avalon an extra day because of the high winds and seas, but hey, if you've gotta be stranded somewhere...
Thank you to The Catalina Express for working with us.
It was very nice to be back in Avalon.
K

Saturday, tide was low. So entry and exit wasn't ideal. Visibility was 15-30 depending upon where in the park you were. Water was in the low 50's. I think 53 was what my gauge read.
Saturday night the weather degraded. Sunday, tide was still low. But now there was a rather large swell and rather significant surge. Entries and exits would have been rough at best, dangerous at worst. We didn't dive.
Monday morning, as we were leaving, looked beautiful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom