Catalina Island Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We booked our trip for June 2015... wondering if the kelp will return by then? And if the stair rail will be fixed as I do think it will be harder getting my gear in and out without busting my toosh.

EDIT: DrBill at what depth do you mean "below the sargassum" in reference to the kelp growing? Curious if i will be able to visit it. I just watched the video about the invasion of the sargassum. so sad. i was looking forward to diving as last trip i did not get to dive, only snorkel. my dad dives there every year.

Last edited:
We booked our trip for June 2015... wondering if the kelp will return by then? And if the stair rail will be fixed as I do think it will be harder getting my gear in and out without busting my toosh.

EDIT: DrBill at what depth do you mean "below the sargassum" in reference to the kelp growing? Curious if i will be able to visit it. I just watched the video about the invasion of the sargassum. so sad. i was looking forward to diving as last trip i did not get to dive, only snorkel. my dad dives there every year.

It's not entirely clear to me, is the sargassum a dive park-only problem or more widespread? If we were to visit Catalina this summer and sign on to a dive boat such as scubacat, would they be able to find sargassum-free sites? I was last at Catalina a couple of years ago and dove only the back side; Farnsworth and another site (I can't recall the name), and no sargassum was seen.

The stair rail is fixed. The sargassum is pretty thick in the dive park, Isthmus reef and lots of other spots right now, but the kelp seems to be pretty thin anywhere if there is any at all. The water is just now starting to cool down to more optimum temps (below 60 degrees) for the kelp so we will keep our fingers crossed that it makes a comeback.

Sargassum horneri is a major problem on the leeward coast of Catalina since it prefers somewhat sheltered areas. It was especially bad the past two years due to the absence of giant kelp canopy to partially shade it out. However, it has also spread as far north as Morro Bay and as far south as Guadalupe Island off Baja.

However, because it is an annual alga, it does die out in late spring (already in the process this year) and is mostly gone by summer. Whether the giant kelp will recover this summer depends largely on water temperature. We've had several pulses of cold water lately (temps as low as 56° F in the dive park... still a bit warm) and there is giant kelp down near the harbor mouth where cold water pulses from the deeper water there are more frequent.

Hey folks - I'm thinking about getting on a charter out to Catalina Sunday but it's a long drive from here and I could always go skiing instead. so I'm trying to understand the trade. Is there any read on what conditions may be like Sunday based on weather this week or is it just a show up and find out situation? Thanks in advance...

Just saw this. It varies year-to-year. In years where giant kelp is absent or does not form canopy, light penetration is much greater and I've seen Sargassum at depths approaching 100 fsw.

Due to surgery I haven't dived in five months, but giant kelp[ is starting to form canopy at the south end of the park as our waters cool. Sargassum is still thick by the stairs and further NW from there.

Hey folks - I'm thinking about getting on a charter out to Catalina Sunday but it's a long drive from here and I could always go skiing instead. so I'm trying to understand the trade. Is there any read on what conditions may be like Sunday based on weather this week or is it just a show up and find out situation? Thanks in advance...
Sunday looks to be flat seas and the weather is supposed to be nice, sunny and mid 60's. Typically viz is good a couple days after a rain. I haven't seen any reports for water temps lately, but imagine they will be in the high 50's. I'd go diving!

Bummer...With 5' - 10' of new snow hitting the sierra this week, I've already made the decision to go skiing...

Having grown up in Chicago and experienced temperatures of minus 81° F with the wind chill, I can't understand why anyone would choose to play in water when it is in its solid form.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom