Catalina: need recommendations for first private boat trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all-

A family member just bought a boat worthy of making day trips to Catalina for diving. I've been on dive boats to the island but never really thought much about where we went.

So, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some good sites to go to as first time private visitors. For a first time out we'd prioritize things like low current, shallow-ish depth (20-60 feet average), and easy conditions for boating (like not having to worry about drifting into obstructions).

We'd be leaving from Huntington Harbor if that makes any significant difference to anyone.

Thank you in advance.

Dive Sites - Google My Maps

These are a few of my favorite Catalina sites, although Catalina is not my favorite place to dive.

Thank you for the map. Is the Piper Cherokee in good shape, and is there anything else at that location besides the plane?

It does. That's one of my favorite deep dive spots.

Hmm, I didn't see anything beyond Bird Rock when I scrolled. It isn't a bad shallow site either. I just looked again and saw that I was looking at the area labelled "Bird Rock State Marine" rather than Bird Rock itself (thought it looked a bit "far out" (so to speak).

Back
Top Bottom