Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there is a number of giant sea bass hanging in the italian gardens right now was there this morning, but the viz wasn't very good, we anchored at fishhook on san clemente and happened to run into the BIGGEST sea bass that i have seen got about 30 min of video of it. I travel from utah once a month to dive and am sitting in my hotel tonight and back to the grind tomorrow, have tried about all the boats out there and there is good and bad e mail me and ill tell you which ones Not to go on

I would like to second the recommendation for the Great Escape. It is a large well run dive boat, and they feed you great. http://www.diveboat.com/

Also, I recommend basing out of the mainland. When you add the cost of the ferry to the Catalina Dive boat chages, the mainland boats are less expensive. You can also board the night before to avoid having to get up earlyin the AM.

Catalina is a great dive spot. I also recomend LaJolla Cove in near by San Diego. It has it all, shore diving, showers, restrooms, kelp, rocks, sand bottom and lots of fish. Easy entry over a short beach, 3 meters into the water and you are diving with tons of fish. You will even see Giant Balck Sea Bass here if you are lucky. Malbu, Palos Verde and Laguna Beach also offer some very good diving.

I also recomend the wetsuit, 7mm or so. Of course you can rent all of your equipment here if you like. Sports Chalet and other dive operators rent the whole rig (wetsuit, tanks, weights) except for the fins, mask and snorkel for $40.00 US. Some dive shops rent the fins and mask too.

If you want to do a couple of shore dives from the mainland, let me know. Of if the kind gentleman who offered to take you on his boat has room, give me a shout. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom