Catastrophic BCD Failure questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the cable should be changes with the longer hose. If the photos in post #4 are the actual BCD, then it looks like it was done, and attached. Also, if not attached he would have list the inflator, which is not what the OP described.
The dump valve does NOT open in order to inflate, either oral or power. Water passed through the open end of the corrugated hose.
Okay the dump was closed but the open end of the hose got above the level of the jacket and dumped and then started to flood

Sounds like they forgot to add the zip-ties. If is very unlikely that one would break, much less two.

It sounds to me...when the shop exchanged the corrugated inflator hose they forgot/omitted replacing the zip ties that secure the hose to the bottom power inflator...and possibly the top elbow as well...

Ah the zipties were missing. That's a bad oversight on the guy who replaced your hose.

What is the actual evidence that the zip ties were not put on? They could have broken off sometime after they were installed and before the individual got in the water. Granted, it was very rare for two zip ties to break. But, I have seen it before.

My point is, before people start pointing fingers and handing out blame, they better have clear evidence for proof. All we have are two pictures and a post, neither of which provides actual evidence of proof.

I realize this incident frightened you, but this type of failure should never escalate to a “catastrophic” event.
Agreed. A person should be able to remain at the surface using his/her fins; which of course can get exhausting.

Glad to read nothing happened other than a scare. Hopefully the diver has learned to conduct a thorough check after hooking up his equipment.

Eh? It's all circumstantial evidence as provided by OP. If nobody could pass judgement on scubaboard unless a jury of his peers ruled on the facts of his case, nobody would have anything to say.

Circumstantial evidence
1. Shop just replaced that particular hose
2. There are no zipties on the hose
3. OP sounds like a novice diver who didn't mess with his gear.
4. The zip ties rarely both fail at the start of a dive after being installed.
5. Inference: Shop messed up reattaching the zipties. Whether they forgot to add them, or added them in reverse so they slipped off. I don't know heh.

Of course it could be the Baba Yaga that removed the perfectly attached zipties, but until some evidence points towards it, I preferred not to point that out.

We are in the end all making informed judgements based on available evidence. Don't believe everything we read on the internet. Sure. I don't want to put that on every post though. And since OP didnt name his shop, no libel laws are broken. IANAL.

The first two posts you quoted even wrote "sounds like..." and "sounds to me...". That's making it pretty obvious it's not a slam dunk conclusion.

Eh? It's all circumstantial evidence as provided by OP. If nobody could pass judgement on scubaboard unless a jury of his peers ruled on the facts of his case, nobody would have anything to say.

Circumstantial evidence
1. Shop just replaced that particular hose
2. There are no zipties on the hose
3. OP sounds like a novice divers who didn't mess with his gear.
4. Inference: Shop messed up reattaching the zipties. Whether they forgot to add them, or added them in reverse so they slipped off. I don't know heh.

Of course it could be the Baba Yaga that removed the perfectly attached zipties, but until some evidence points towards it, I preferred not to point that out.

We are in the end all making informed judgements based on available evidence. Don't believe everything we read on the internet. Sure. I don't want to put that on every post though. And since OP didnt name his shop, no libel laws are broken.
And zip ties do not just spontaneously break. Even with the cheapest ties imaginable, how do you put enough strain on that connection to break one? May be theoretically possible they broke, but not practically likely.

I have seen zip ties break. Usually it's the little plastic locking tab that just breaks or bends to the point of no longer grabbing the little cam slots.

But usually some force has to be applied - twisting will easily break a run-of-the-mill zip tie. Just pulling can make the little tab slip or break.

But absent any strain, and two at once? not very likely, imo...

What is the actual evidence that the zip ties were not put on? They could have broken off sometime after they were installed and before the individual got in the water. Granted, it was very rare for two zip ties to break. But, I have seen it before.

My point is, before people start pointing fingers and handing out blame, they better have clear evidence for proof. All we have are two pictures and a post, neither of which provides actual evidence of proof.

That's just not a credible conclusion. Zip ties do not just fail on the first day of use if they are installed properly.

Even if they are crappy and slip a notch, they would be retained on the wire in the hose. Plus, there is a slot for two zip ties. They are independent and the failure of one would not induce the immediate failure of another.

If we assume the OP is making a valid presentation of the facts (which I don't doubt) then the only reasonable suspicion/conclusion is that the zip ties were never installed. Somebody could have sabotaged the gear or the OP could be fabricating the story, but those are not reasonable suspicions without some other evidence that would support such an unlikely occurrence.

The pictures and the "story" provide a ton of credible evidence, maybe not enough to constitute proof, but you can hardly refute the presence of evidence.

That's just not a credible conclusion. Zip ties do not just fail on the first day of use if they are installed properly.

Even if they are crappy and slip a notch, they would be retained on the wire in the hose. Plus, there is a slot for two zip ties. They are independent and the failure of one would not induce the immediate failure of another.

If we assume the OP is making a valid presentation of the facts (which I don't doubt) then the only reasonable suspicion/conclusion is that the zip ties were never installed. Somebody could have sabotaged the gear or the OP could be fabricating the story, but those are not reasonable suspicions without some other evidence that would support such an unlikely occurrence.

The pictures and the "story" provide a ton of credible evidence, maybe not enough to constitute proof, but you can hardly refute the presence of evidence.

Not so much presence of evidence by the ton...but lack thereof...no zip ties...

The OP's second photo shows zip tie tooth marks...suggesting the replacement corrugated hose was used...

The hose should have never been changed in the first place...the OP seems to think the hose needed to be changed because of his height...tall/short...who knows...inflator hose length has absolutely nothing to do with a divers height...

The OP is getting bad Intel from somewhere...

W...

I have been patiently waiting for someone to ask the question, but it appears it will have to be me. Why was your gear condemned to the depths of the abyss? Was this due to panic or did your instructor encourage you to take this course of action?

I have been patiently waiting for someone to ask the question, but it appears it will have to be me. Why was your gear condemned to the depths of the abyss? Was this due to panic or did your instructor encourage you to take this course of action?
The gear was recovered by the boat crew, why they choose to ditch the entire rig rather than just the weights I haven’t a clue. Seawater inside the b/c weighs the same as seawater outside the b/c and doesn’t add any weight (this was touched on earlier I believe) water in or water out doesn’t make you negative but you do lose buoyancy or the option of control over buoyancy.

Op wrote in first post that instructor removed gear, again wrong action to take. Should of simply removed weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom