Catastrophic Hurricane Felix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
Thanks amigo. I've tied my boat down under my house to all the cement posts, boarded up the windows and plan to ride it out. I'm far enough back from the sea and high enough that the surge won't get me. The house is solid cement and 10 feet off the ground. The adrenaline is pumping though....ya man.
I'm more worried about Honduras. There's a lot of steep mountains on that north coast and the landslide and flooding could be bad. God help them.
You sound as set up as possible.......good luck.

I know what you mean about steep mountains. Japan is very advanced in protection against this sort of stuff, (and earthquakes), but the mountains are really steep. When there are deaths here it's often through slips. A big typhoon will normally cut quite a few roads at least, but it's possible to get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time as well. There's a big one heading for Tokyo right now actually, although they're on flat ground so it shouldn't be a problem over there.

Let's hope the damage isn't too bad down your way. Keep us posted.

DandyDon:
Since Lamont's thread was about Invest 92 which failed to become a threat, I started a new one on the real Felix, but I see that the two have been joined. Thanks! I Mod a little on a tiny V-board, and have never joined two threads - looks tricky.

acutally the other one probably should have been deleted, or been renamed "I92: the tropical wave that fizzled" or something...

anyway, from wunder blog today:

Hurricane Hunters walloped by Felix
NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft N42RF experienced a truly awesome and terrifying mission into the heart of Hurricane Felix last night. Flying at 10,000 feet through Felix at 7pm EDT last night, N42RF dropped a sonde into the southeast eyewall. The swirling winds of the storm were so powerful that the sonde spun a full 3/4 circle around the eye before splashing into the northwest eyewall. It is VERY rare for a sonde to make nearly a complete circle around the eye like this. As the plane entered the eye of the now Category 5 hurricane, they found a 17-mile wide stadium lit up by intense lightning on all sides. The pressure at the bottom of the eye had hit 934 mb, and the temperature outside, a balmy 77 degrees at 10,000 feet. This is about 24 degrees warmer than the atmosphere normally is at that altitude, and a phenomenally warm eye for a hurricane. N42RF then punched into the northwest eyewall. Flight level winds hit 175 mph, and small hail lashed the airplane as lighting continued to flash. Then, the crew hit what Hurricane Hunters fear most--a powerful updraft followed a few seconds later by an equally powerful downdraft. The resulting extreme turbulence and wind shear likely made the aircraft impossible to control. Four G's of acceleration battered the airplane, pushing the aircraft close to its design limit of 6 G's. Although no one was injured and no obvious damage to the airplane occurred, the aircraft commander wisely aborted the mission and N42RF returned safely to St. Croix. N42RF is the same aircraft that survived a pounding of 5.6 g's in the eyewall of Hurricane Hugo in 1989. A special inspection of the aircraft is planned for today to determine if it is fit to fly further missions into Felix, and its scheduled afternoon flight into the hurricane was canceled. Hurricane Hunter missions since have fared better, and no more extreme turbulence has been reported.

Some good news for Central America
Although Hurricane Felix has intensified into a truly awesome and potentially catastrophic hurricane, the prospects of a major flooding catastrophe in Honduras and Nicaragua are much lower today than they appeared yesterday. Firstly, the dramatic intensification cycle has spun Felix into a very small, tight coil. A storm of this small size is much less likely to pull in moisture from the Pacific Ocean over the mountains of Honduras like Hurricane Fifi of 1974 did. Secondly, the strong ridge of high pressure pushing Felix westward has intensified, resulting in a greater forward speed for the hurricane. Felix is now moving at 21 mph, and will not slow much during its passage over Honduras. This will keep rainfall amounts lower than I expected. Thirdly, it now appears likely that Felix will hit the Honduras/Nicaragua border area, a very sparsely populated region known as "The Mosquito Coast", because of its large expanse of marshy wetlands. This track will result in the rapid weakening of Felix, limiting the rainfall from the storm. A passage just north of Honduras would have been far more disastrous. It will still be bad for Honduras--NHC is predicting 5-8 inches of rain, with isolated amounts up to 12 inches--but this is far short of the 20+ inches of rain that fell during catastrophic Hurricane Fifi and again in 1999 during Category 5 Hurricane Mitch. The nations of Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala, Belize, and Mexico can also breather easier, as Felix's rains should not cause the kind of extreme flooding a larger storm would have caused. It now appears the Felix will stay too far south to be influenced by the trough of low pressure forecast to move across the U.S. later this week, so Texas appears safe from the storm.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=776&tstamp=200709

I had seen about that desaster,and that one comes early in the year,well the folks

ther will have real bad selons in there raions might better they do care today bevor

those readge them.

E.L.7*

Looking at the projected paths it is clear it will hit land long before it gets to the Bay islands. That always slow them down and it is already gone down to a cat4, so it looks like that info as well as that previously posted, it sounds like it might just fall into a tropical depresion and spare a bunch of folks, a bunch of grief. Wet for sure, but spared from the wicked winds. I am hoping at least that it will happen this way. Good luck to all of those in it's path, where ever it wanders.

Yeah, it looks like the Mayan populations of the Miskito Islands, Corn Islands, and the Cape Delta are going to take the brunt force. They probly do not have contact with the outside world, but then probly have their own ways of knowing. Hope they have ways to survive the flood and winds.

Funny that there is not so much interest in this storm than the one that went through all the big name locations, not a troll, but simply an observation.

Yeah, I guess it's just "not as close to home" since very few of us here know anyone or anything about where it is now. Looks like it's probly gonna break up and dump itself...
[c]
023525W_sm.gif

[/c]

diverrick:
Funny that there is not so much interest in this storm than the one that went through all the big name locations, not a troll, but simply an observation.

yeah. good, that it hit a relatively unpopulated area. bad, that the people it did hit probably don't have a lot of resources to rebuild...

diverrick:

There was intrest in the Bay Islands Forum....unless you mean the media:wink:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=200645

Not many people dive around the Corn islands, or the east coast of Honduras Nicaragua etc....too hard to get too....

diverrick:

Well, this is a diving board and there aren't many dive destinations in Nicaragua. It's true though...and perhaps selfish or just survival....once we knew it wasn't going to hit here, it's a big relief and you put it behind you and move on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom