Cathx Ocean - Euphos Dive Light: First Impression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coinking

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just received my new Cathx Ocean Euphos Dive Light. It's a very impressive, very solidly build torch. Permanently sealed - charging is done through the case. It's depth rated to 250 meters and far brighter than anything I've used before - 1250 lumens on full power (it has 4 power settings, in addition to a strobe and SOS modes - the materials say 75 minutes burn time on full power). The switching is all done with a thumb on a spring loaded bezel: either right or left, or short or long pushes, turns it on/off, lower/higher power, lock/unlock. This thing is build like a tank. Shipped from Ireland to Chicago in 2 days (free shipping).

LED Dive Torch | Frogman Torch | Dive Light Scuba

Those lights are the successor to the Solus lights, I'd thought about buying some until Solus went out of business (a victim of the worldwide recession I assume)......hopefully this successor company won't also go out of business as well. The problem will be when it come time to return it to Ireland for battery replacement when the battery pack wears out, hopefully they'll still be in business. So, how much was the light ?

Not cheap - $660 (includes shipping). Only time will tell how many charge cycles the battery pack will last . . .

Those lights are the successor to the Solus lights, I'd thought about buying some until Solus went out of business (a victim of the worldwide recession I assume)......hopefully this successor company won't also go out of business as well. The problem will be when it come time to return it to Ireland for battery replacement when the battery pack wears out, hopefully they'll still be in business. So, how much was the light ?

agree, I bought the old Solus backup, was very expensive also has had almost no use and now flickers, company no longer trading so now have a very expensive paper weight :depressed:, would be very cautious about buying anything from cathx for this reason, at least until they had been around for a while longer.

Last edited:
I have to agree, and until I saw these lights I too was a bit reluctant. I hear there will soon be representation in the US just for many of the reasons mentioned. This in itself is a positive step in the right direction and commend them for this approach during a lackluster economy.

agree, I bought the old Solus backup, was very expensive also has had almost no use and now flickers, company no longer trading so now have a very expensive paper weight :depressed:, would be very cautious about buying anything from cathx for this reason, at least until they had been around for a while longer.

A guy on a euro dive forum had similar flickering issues and he changed the magnet (ebay 1/16 or 1/8 dia) in the bezel and secured with epoxy and now it works great... my solus still works for now but will try this method if I have any issues. Seems to be a very expensive paper weight.

I have to agree, and until I saw these lights I too was a bit reluctant. I hear there will soon be representation in the US just for many of the reasons mentioned. This in itself is a positive step in the right direction and commend them for this approach during a lackluster economy.

Currently carried by Silent Diving... I'm impressed with the build quality and performance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom