Caution! Potential Vytec hoseless hazard.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, ok, you techies (probably) win.

I just found a problem with the Vytec hoseless system that I don't think I can work around. And it has nothing to do with interference.

Here's the scenario...... the transmitter resets its code when the pressure goes to zero. It then picks a random code when pressure is reapplied.

Now on the surface, this is no big deal. If the handset read zero, then it will go back to "SETC" and all is well. If you went out of range first, you push a couple of buttons, and it goes back to "SETC" and all is well.

Now here's the scenario where its NOT cool.

You do a valve shutdown drill. The pressure goes to zero. The handset reads that. However, in dive mode, it does NOT go back to SETC, and no amount of fiddling (that I could determine) will make it do so.

You're screwed, and no longer have pressure data. All you get now is "FAIL", and the last pressure reading that you had.

Oops.

As soon as I got within 3' of the surface, it went back into "SETC" mode, I reached back with my arm near the transmitter, it re-synced, and all was well.

Good thing I did the drill on my last stop eh? :)

Anyway, this appears to be a "no way to fix it" problem with Vytec and its hoseless pressure transmitter on any configuration where you have redundant regs, and thus might have a reason to shut a post off during a dive.

we'll see what, if anything, they come back with.

I can't see a workaround for it though....

Suunto will be "upgrading " anyone's trans that want it. what they do is make it so it always transmits the same code, should fix the problem, it will be avalable in the next few months

I had the same problem. I dive with an SPG anyway so it will be an inconvenience at best, but it still is a PITA.

One potential problem I see is that if the transmitter has a fixed code, is interference if there are two units with the same code being used by a buddy.

Let's hope they aren't that stupid.

The PROPER fix is not to get rid of the code system, which is VERY USEFUL.

The proper fix is to allow re-pairing underwater. Make it require a sequence of button presses (as it does on the surface), but make it POSSIBLE!

Apparently they are going to change the algorythm for the transmitter's "change code" selection, and under most circumstances it will keep the same code.

However, they say it WILL be possible to force a code change.

The change apparently requires the return of the unit (transmitteR) to Finland, and as such there will be a charge for it.

I've asked for details on the expected algorythm because selecting the wrong way of doing this would be just as bad!

I'll keep the board posted on what I learn....

Not a solution to the transmitter issue, but a note on valve shutdowns. I never shut a valve down completely when underwater as it gives the potential of letting water in the line. As soon as I feel the knob tighten toward off, I'll give it just enough to maintain pressue in the system.

This gives the benefit of doing the valve drill but doesn't increase risk of getting saltwater in your first stage.

Also, on the transmitter issue. I have dove Uwatec hoseless for a number of years and have occasionally lost the transmission underwater. It will always require the signal, so whatever system Uwatec uses allows that.

The constant change of codes with the Vytec seems stupid to me.

MD

is if you let the pressure fall below 10 bar on the Vytec.

Unfortunately, you generally will do that on a valve shutdown drill.

Back
Top Bottom