DIR- GUE Cave 1 approaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Mcshane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got cave 1 coming up. I've been polishing my fundies skills, been doing a tonne of diving and im super excited about getting stuck into it. Anyone got any advice or words of wisdom for me?

C1 is a great class.

Don’t rush through anything, and think about what you’re doing and what your next move will be.

Running line? Take it slow. Pick a tie off spot and eyeball the next one before committing. Operate a step or two ahead of what you’re actually doing.

You’ve been doing this already with all your skills drills.

People have a tendency to get tunnel vision (hahah I made a cave diving pun) when cave diving. Keep a broad awareness. Buddy, light, line, cave, time, depth, buoyancy, etc. Don’t let one thing consume you. If it starts SSLLOOWW down. Take a breath and get it together. Overfocusing ona single thing won’t do you any favors.

Enjoy it. Learn all you can from you instructor. Ask questions. You’ll do fine.

1) Do lots and lots of s-drills - slowly and in midwater. You wont be in a cave but mid-water will help you refine your buoyancy. Slow them down, make them downright casual. Nix the feelings of urgency, slower will be faster. Clean everything up methodically (light cords, long hoses etc)

2) Hover, in one spot, with no fin movement. Get a friend to video your feet. Learn to not flail your feet when you are doing something else. You can shoot a bag if you need a "something else" to occupy your hands. In cave1 you will be doing tie offs. Not moving around and kicking, going all spastic, while methodically using your hands on a tie-off will be handy.

The rest is part of the course.

C1 is a great class.

Don’t rush through anything, and think about what you’re doing and what your next move will be.

Running line? Take it slow. Pick a tie off spot and eyeball the next one before committing. Operate a step or two ahead of what you’re actually doing.

You’ve been doing this already with all your skills drills.

People have a tendency to get tunnel vision (hahah I made a cave diving pun) when cave diving. Keep a broad awareness. Buddy, light, line, cave, time, depth, buoyancy, etc. Don’t let one thing consume you. If it starts SSLLOOWW down. Take a breath and get it together. Overfocusing ona single thing won’t do you any favors.

Enjoy it. Learn all you can from you instructor. Ask questions. You’ll do fine.

Do they teach you the puns on C1 or is that something you pick up at the exploration level?

Thanks guys. Much appreciated advice :)

As stated, have your S-Drill down 100%. Also your backward kick. Go in with both of those items squared away and you will be solid. As AJ said, slow and steady. Think about the failure first then act.

Just realize that every exit of the cave, every piece of gear you and your team has will be broken in some fashion.

Slow down... And when you think you are going super slow... slow down a bit more. If you fumble, stop, stabilise, reference the line... and then... slow down and start over.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom