Cave Adventurers 360* Swivel: Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m thinking about getting one of these for my primary second stage. Just curious what the word on these swivels is...I searched “Cave Adventurers” in the title and didn’t see any reference to them here.

It looks like they come with an extra set of O-Rings. What is the service interval? Thank you.

The design is similar to the original Omni-Swivel, which has been used successfully for years.
However, I would point out that oring security is dependent upon the adjustment of a single hex screw. Too tight and it won't swivel; too loose and the oring may extrude catastrophically.

In response, Omni Swivel has released the 2.0, which in my opinion is far superior from a security standpoint. In version 2, the hex mounts at right angles to the screw holding the swivel, in a special land that's machined exactly where the adjustment needs to be. The hex would have to back waay out to lose oring integrity.

With that new design, after 30 years of diving, I bought my first Omni Swivel. I wouldn't use it before then, after servicing one years ago and seeing how critical that hex adjustment had to be. Now, it's a perfect swivel.

From the pic on Cave Adventurer's website, it looks like the old design.

The design is similar to the original Omni-Swivel, which has been used successfully for years.
However, I would point out that oring security is dependent upon the adjustment of a single hex screw. Too tight and it won't swivel; too loose and the oring may extrude catastrophically.

In response, Omni Swivel has released the 2.0, which in my opinion is far superior from a security standpoint. In version 2, the hex mounts at right angles to the screw holding the swivel, in a special land that's machined exactly where the adjustment needs to be. The hex would have to back waay out to lose oring integrity.

With that new design, after 30 years of diving, I bought my first Omni Swivel. I wouldn't use it before then, after servicing one years ago and seeing how critical that hex adjustment had to be. Now, it's a perfect swivel.

From the pic on Cave Adventurer's website, it looks like the old design.

Thank you for the thorough write-up. It sounds like this is going to be something that I’m not going to want to mess with. I’ve been working towards simplifying my gear setup. This would be going in the opposite direction. Maybe I’ll give a 90* elbow a try instead. Thank you.:cheers:

The Omni-Swivel 2.0 is expensive, but great!
Screenshot_20200904-124848_Chrome.jpg

Thank you for the thorough write-up. It sounds like this is going to be something that I’m not going to want to mess with. I’ve been working towards simplifying my gear setup. This would be going in the opposite direction. Maybe I’ll give a 90* elbow a try instead. Thank you.:cheers:

the CA ones are fine, much better than 90* elbows IMO who like to split apart unexpectedly. The key is that screw needs to have a bit of blue loc-tite put on it. This is in the service manuals but no one ever seems to follow the service manuals and also never seem to service them... I service mine when I service my regulators.

the CA ones are fine, much better than 90* elbows IMO who like to split apart unexpectedly. The key is that screw needs to have a bit of blue loc-tite put on it. This is in the service manuals but no one ever seems to follow the service manuals and also never seem to service them... I service mine when I service my regulators.

A regulator service course is on my to do list, as well. Hoping to take a Deep 6 / HOG course whenever things settle down.

Slightly off subject but I wish that their (Omniswivel) videos on YT illustrating the OS service would drop the music and have a voice over instead.

I use the CA swivels and like them fine. It is another inspection point but if you check them periodically you should be able to spot an issue before it happens. I saw a video in it once demonstrating what to look for but cant find it now. Basically, the two half sections should not have any rocking play between them. If they do an o-ring is deteriorated or the screw has loosened and it should be rebuilt. I just check mine before dives.

Back
Top Bottom