Cave CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how challenging is cave buoyancy with a CCR? As someone who has never used a CCR it seems that you would have to learn buoyancy all over again and the precision buoyancy that cave diving requires may take quite a long time to acquire.

@kensuf hit the nail on the head. It's like trying to run on ice. Once you figure out how to do it, it's really not that hard *grew up in the great white north, so have more than enough experience with ice...*, but learning to do it is going to be a bit ugly. The key to learning how to do it, is anticipating what you have to do long before you have to do it and being proactive vs. reactive like @Superlyte27 pointed out since Pete is being a proper font of wisdom this week :p

Today was day 1 of my Fathom CCR course (first rebreather) and this thread was in my head throughout and very helpful. I kept thinking that I read to "stay ahead of buoyancy" so I need to do it. I actually think day 1 went much better than expected. Buoyancy sucked at times (ADVs like to fire at the worst time apparently), but as a whole it was pretty good 90% of the time. Hovering perfectly still and feeling solid is not nearly as easy as OC.
Thanks for all of the helpful posts. They actually helped me know what to expect a little before starting class.

Today was day 1 of my Fathom CCR course (first rebreather) and this thread was in my head throughout and very helpful. I kept thinking that I read to "stay ahead of buoyancy" so I need to do it. I actually think day 1 went much better than expected. Buoyancy sucked at times (ADVs like to fire at the worst time apparently), but as a whole it was pretty good 90% of the time. Hovering perfectly still and feeling solid is not nearly as easy as OC.
Thanks for all of the helpful posts. They actually helped me know what to expect a little before starting class.

Like dancing and sex, it gets better with practice.

Like dancing and sex, it gets better with practice.

Thanks. The one dumb thing I keep doing is inhaling hard and holding it when I'm descending unexpectedly since that's what I do OC. Except in OC it's a little breath. In CC I find myself inhaling harder and harder since it's "not working" and then the ADV fires and it's back up we go, oops now I need to dump, oops too much. It's coming along though.

After diving sm for many years I was afraid I would potentially hate having a bm unit, but the Fathom is so light I don't notice it. It feels like diving sidemount (bailout) with a single al80 on your back. Much nicer than expected. Of course just like sm, it's a little fidgety getting bailout tanks setup perfect.

Back
Top Bottom