Cave Diving Certification Question~~!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Care to tell me where it states that in the PSAI standards manual? I haven't found anything that indicates that.

I don't have the PSAI standards with me at the moment but Trace Malinowski verified this with me when I spoke to him last night. He would be able to tell you exactly where it's written.

Unless it's in writing, it's not so. And it's not in the current PSAI standards.

Rob I'm a little confused and maybe you can clarify this for me. I'm not an instructor and please don't take this as me being smart. I had very mentor-based instruction in technical and cave diving, so he dove me "up a level" regularly as we progressed. Seems to me that it isn't so much "written" as it is "expected" that when you're learning cavern, you dive in caverns, and when you learn trimix, you dive trimix, even though you're not certified to dive those levels yet.

Obviously I wouldn't condone an instructor randomly taking his buddy on a trust-me dive, but I see that as different than a cave instructor taking a student who just completed cavern on a little bit of an intro dive to give him a taste of it and start him down the path to completing that course?

Unless it's in writing, it's not so. And it's not in the current PSAI standards.

I'm only going by what Trace told me. With regards to PSAI standards (or PDIC), I tend to believe him over most anybody else.

Rob I'm a little confused and maybe you can clarify this for me. I'm not an instructor and please don't take this as me being smart. I had very mentor-based instruction in technical and cave diving, so he dove me "up a level" regularly as we progressed. Seems to me that it isn't so much "written" as it is "expected" that when you're learning cavern, you dive in caverns, and when you learn trimix, you dive trimix, even though you're not certified to dive those levels yet.

Obviously I wouldn't condone an instructor randomly taking his buddy on a trust-me dive, but I see that as different than a cave instructor taking a student who just completed cavern on a little bit of an intro dive to give him a taste of it and start him down the path to completing that course?

Yes, if an instructor is conducting a class and has written releases for that particular class then he/she is diving "up a level", but that is the purpose of the class. Only the NSS-CDS has it written in their standards that

Active NSS-CDS instructors are permitted to take students on dives one (1) level beyond the student's current level of training in the course of instructional or guided dives.

AFAIK, no other agency has that written in their standards.

dl348:
I'm only going by what Trace told me. With regards to PSAI standards (or PDIC), I tend to believe him over most anybody else.

I'd love to see the judge and jury's reaction when you're sitting on the stand making that statement.

I'm not sitting on any stand and providing testimony, so there won't be any reaction from a judge or jury. Believe what you like.....maybe PSAI standards were recently revised and only active PSAI instructors have access to them. Or maybe you just missed that section like you did when we were posting about how NACD has 2 different intro. cave c-cards (single vs. double cylinders).....lol

I let my PSAI instructor status lapse in January because of actions on their part that have tarnished their reputation. I'm pretty sure I have a current copy of the standards. The only way I wouldn't have one is if they sent out an updated copy in the past couple of months as I have received an instructor e-mail update from them about that long ago. As for the NACD issue, you must have me confused with someone else, or you misinterpreted something I posted. Regardless, if you take a diver "up a level" and something happens to that diver and you get sued, you will be on the stand.

I let my PSAI instructor status lapse in January because of actions on their part that have tarnished their reputation. I'm pretty sure I have a current copy of the standards. The only way I wouldn't have one is if they sent out an updated copy in the past couple of months as I have received an instructor e-mail update from them about that long ago. As for the NACD issue, you must have me confused with someone else, or you misinterpreted something I posted. Regardless, if you take a diver "up a level" and something happens to that diver and you get sued, you will be on the stand.

Rob, I agree with you in the fact that PSAI may have tarnished their reputation based on some of their actions and lower standards. However, the fact remains that you can believe or disbelief what Trace informed me about this specific standard. Quite possibly, this cave standard was recently revised and you may not have an updated copy of standards since you are no longer "active status" with PSAI.

As far as my NACD reference, I DO NOT have you confused with sombody else. It was a thread "Interested in Sidemount Diving", you posted that NACD and TDI do not differentiate between single vs. double cylinders at the intro. level. I posted that NACD does and that you were misinformed, after you reviewed NACD standards, you acknowledged that you overlooked that section. It was the same thread where you didn't believe that NACD had an Instructor Director position.

Like I said, I have received PSAI updates as recently as a couple months ago.

As for the NACD standards, I recall that. That was also before I did my crossover to NACD.

Like their intoxicated diver course?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom