CAVE DIVING DOUBLES...Largest PRACTICAL sized tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not using smaller cylinders to penetrate farther. It's using smaller cylinders to decrease your RMV.

It's not using smaller cylinders to penetrate farther. It's using smaller cylinders to decrease your RMV.

Sure but, for me atleast, the increase in RMV from using larger cylinders is more than offset by the extra gas being carried. ie, I get further with larger tanks.

My RMV when using smaller tanks and a stage is also substantially more than using larger tanks alone.

Its a no-brainer for, if I'm looking to dive further in... bring larger tanks.

Sure but, for me atleast, the increase in RMV from using larger cylinders is more than offset by the extra gas being carried. ie, I get further with larger tanks.

My RMV when using smaller tanks and a stage is also substantially more than using larger tanks alone.

Its a no-brainer for, if I'm looking to dive further in... bring larger tanks.

I have a set of LP120s you can try... :wink:

Velocity in the water column is a function of thrust and drag. If you reduce drag you get more speed through the water. Period. Doesn't matter whether you're going into the current or with the current... Therefore, for any given amount of gas or time, you can get in further and out quicker with smaller (less drag) tanks. Still, the added time gained with bigger tanks usually makes up for the extra time required to cover the distance and then some.
Rick
I've always found this interesting...smaller tanks are less drag on the way in, so you get further in flow. With the same flow on exit, large tanks have more gas and more surface area to push against on the way out.

The logic in using smaller tanks to penetrate further escapes me.

Last edited:
But is the increased amount of gas enough to counteract the whatever increased RMV? In my case, it certainly is :)

I have a set of LP120s you can try... :wink:

I've tried them before, and will certainly dive them again :)

are they doubled up and for sale? :)

They aren't doubled up, but I've been thinking about selling them since I got the rebreather. I think I still have the bands and manifold bar somewhere. They may be holding a door open or something... :D

Nice thread, all of my doubles experience has been with 104's and being 155 pounds they were a pain on land. Tried out some LP95's this weekend and loved them, considering my size I think I'm going for the 95's now

HP 130's are fine - i'm 5'6" and they trim out fine. the rig with an Al backplate weighs about 130 lbs. all up (lights, etc)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom