CAVE DIVING ETIQUETTE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I deleted this post and because i am an board advisor it took out the thread. The mods pointed out that normal users can't delete their threads, only edit their posts within 24 hours.

I apologized and undid my delete and am doing an edit.

So, the thread remains

Last edited:
Deleted to be nice...

Jim

Not a surprise, but what a dick......

Hello,

My name is John Baker. I am the instructor that Chris Richardson mentioned. I don't really post a lot on scuba forms because I don't like internet diving drama… I'd just rather go diving. I wasn't going to say anything until I seen Chris being call a liar for sharing information that was relayed to him from people in my diving group.

First off, I do not know who the cave divers are. I have never met them before. I do cave dive but, I'm not in the cave scene and don't know many cave divers.

To make a long story short. We arrived at Manatee about 7:10am. There were 2 vehicles in front of us. First car was a cave diver and second was a group of 4 doing discovery scuba. The next 4 cars was with me. Then behind us were a few other cars.

When the gate opened we pulled up to the ranger station and he asked us to park in line and come sign in. After parking, we were walking back to the ranger station and as we approached the door, the other folks that were in the cars behind us, pulled up to the ranger station, got out of the car, and jumped in front of our group. We walked in behind him and waited as they signed in.

They made a few comments that they were extending line and some other jargon. I really didn't care about them cutting in line.. I mean, we got there early so what is a few extra minutes? I remember back in grade school when people cut in line. Not my first rodeo. But the other people who were with me didn't really appreciate it. They were newly certified divers just getting their feet wet and it did make the feel uncomfortable. And as I introduced Chris to my group they did actually bring it up to him on their own as we ate awesome BBQ together.

I've never met the cave divers and I'm sure they are probably nice people that were just in a hurry. But it's never a bad idea to be courteous.

So what Chris said wasn't a lie. He only repeated not what I told him, but what the new divers I was hanging out with told him.

I not mad or even upset. People act like people sometimes. Just after Chris was called a liar and that he made up the story I wanted to back that up. I really don't want anyone to fight.. too much of that is going on in the world anyway… and we get to do the most fun sport ever.. so we should be like the happiest people.

Here is my phone number if you feel like I have given misinformation. 803-246-0305

Dive safe.

Manatee springs checks people in as groups, not individuals. If the first person there checked in their whole group I dont see the big deal. Any given weekend there's an instructor waiting at the front of the line to hold a place for his class. Sounds like a mountain out of a molehill to me.

Hello,

My name is John Baker.....

Hi John, nice to meet you. I have a few things to say, but first I want to get down to the biggest reason I logged on to Scubaboard today (I rarely do since I keep fairly busy with work, diving, and being a mom) I want to offer a sincere apology for any perceived wrong-doing that resulted when our group checked in. I actually wasn't part of that initial group but came in later to take over a support shift from a few of the guys, I don't know if the other guys are active at all here on Scubaboard but they also made apology which I will pass along in a bit. I want to say that neither of the guys who were actually involved in this incident meant any harm and they are not the kind to brag, they are just excited new team members who were there as support for a research permit dive that day. Perhaps their enthusiasm was taken as bragging about exploration, but that was truly not the intent at all. Regarding the line cutting, I'm not sure what happened there but again, if there was any we truly apologize for it.

Next, I apologize in advance for the novel.

Thirdly, I want to make it very clear that I have absolutely no intent on arguing with Chris here or anywhere regarding this incident. I want to call his 'discussion' what it really is: a personal attack on a person that wasn't even directly involved in this incident by Chris, who clearly has a personal issue with that individual. I like Jon Kieren who wrote that article. He's a nice guy and the article is very well written but this thread is one of the very things he was discussing in that article. Since this is a 'discussion' and I believe those should be more than one sided, here is the apology (Chris and Chad are a dive team) and details from the two team members directly involved via facebook:

Chris Hartmann Hey guys- I must be the one being referenced in this post. I would like to set a few things straight because there seems to be a good bit of confusion. I'm going to start by apologizing for any hurt feelings. When I was in the ranger station everyone was polite and friendly to each other and no one realized there was a problem. We pulled through the gate and I was the second person through the door to the station where you sign in. My buddy waited outside because it became very crowded in the line. 5 minutes later, 2 more people from our group showed up (the ones actually doing the dive- my buddy and I were just support). We were told at that time that there was a permit for our group and that a dive plan had been submitted to the park etc. Because of this we decided to sign in as a single group. I waited for the first group to sign in (who also had people farther back in the line that were pulled forward to sign in and then bought an annual pass as well which took about 15 minutes) and then I signed myself in and passed the clipboard back to my buddy and the 2 other divers in the group to sign in on the same sheet. No one in line seemed upset and nothing was done out of the ordinary. After we signed in, our group went over to the rangers office in the trailer near the entry and spoke about the dive plan and then we went on our way. We did mention that the end of the line was going to be extended but only because we were excited. We were not trying to belittle any one else. The only talk of the permit was from my buddy instructing me to how to sign in after he spoke to the other 2. The only thing that I can see being construed as "cutting" was when I sent the clipboard back to sign the rest of the group in but this is how I have always seen it done. If a class showed up and one student was 2 minutes behind would that student sign in as a different group or be brought up to sign in with the rest of their group? Where did I go wrong that morning? I am genuinely curious because if I offended someone I would like to make sure I don't make the same mistake.

Chad Minter Here are the events from my perspective. Chris and I arrived earlier than the rest of our group. Chris went into the building to sign us in and pay to enter the park. He was second or third in line and I waited just outside the doorway because it was crowded. A gentleman and I were discussing the map hanging on the wall. He read on the map that the cave was explored out to 22,000 feet. I made the comment "It'll be farther later today, they are doing a push dive. (Chris and I were asked to put some bottles in for them and help carry gear.) at that time the two main divers showed up and I said Chris was inside waiting to pay for me and him. One of the main divers said "You guys are on the research permit, you're not supposed to pay, you're supposed to sign in as permit divers." I didn't think Chris knew that, so I went inside and went to the front of the line and told Chris that he wasn't supposed to pay, he's supposed to sign us in as research divers (a research permit was pulled because we may have been in the park late it was not just a commercial dive permit) The only thing that I think may have been misconstrued as breaking was me going in and going to the front of the line to tell Chris that and to get the clipboard to bring outside for the other members of the team to sign. The main diver and training director mentioned never actually entered the building, never said anything to anyone there except to me, and the only person who "cut in line" was me and it was to go forward and tell the team member who was already in line how to sign up and to get the clipboard from him and go back outside. If you have a problem, it is with me and has NOTHING to do with the main diver or training director. They never even went in the building.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom