CAVE DIVING ETIQUETTE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I almost never respond to threads like this, but my name has been mentioned a few times so I figured I'd chime in.

1. Regarding using my article, I never have an issue with my articles being shared. And in this case, it paints a very clear picture that I am very much against these types of petty internet arguments that have little productive value, zap much needed energy and enthusiasm out of the community, and create a hostile environment that few people would want to take part in if they stumble across this thread while doing research about cave diving. This does nothing to improve the community.

2. As to the comment that I "would NEVER act this way"....I honestly don't know for sure about that. Playing an active support role for big dives is exhilarating. For those of us who cave dive for adventure and exploration, this is what it's all about. I wasn't there, so I have no idea (nor do I really care to expend the energy to find out) exactly what happened that day. However, I do get excited easily, especially when I get to take part in things I have worked my ass off and dedicated significant time and financial resources to be involved. It's entirely possible that I could unintentionally skip some people in line (heck, I already do this in restaurants when I'm hungry and excited to eat), or talk with pride about the event I was chosen to be a part of. HOWEVER, none of these actions would EVER be out of disrespect for those around me. I do not believe that those involved on this particular day meant any harm, to belittle or disrespect the new divers. They realized their actions may have hurt someones feelings or portrayed the team they were a part of in a negative light, and they apologized. Which is admirable.

3. Let's just go diving.

I almost never respond to threads like this, but my name has been mentioned a few times so I figured I'd chime in.
....snip....
3. Let's just go diving.
In the ocean.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom