Cave diving fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The RK3 are light but soft, the RK3 HD are much more appropriate. The stiffer I tried are the XDeep XT (more than the Jetfin).

However the RK3 HD are negatively buoyant, which isn't great for trim when not using drysuit

I've been diving XTs for years and love them. They are derived from the Apollo Prestige fins from the 90s. When Apollo went to split fins, Dive Rite picked up the molds. Dive Rite first went with a different material but returned to the original monoprene, stainless steel spring straps and, more recently, stainless steel buckles make up their current model.

So only slightly more modern than the SP Jet fins ;-)

I also use Dive Rite XT find. My first pair I got used and just found a great deal at Leisure pro for a new pair of the grey ones.

Its about frog kick and preticular back kicking and helo's
The more propulsioin you get on a kick,,,,, the more you can coast and save air

But in the end they're all based on a design from the 60s.

I think if your logic is rejecting a fin type because it was designed in the 60s, then your outcomes may be less than satisfactory. Realize cave diving is the innovation for many things used presently in open water. Something that has longevity in cave diving is worth looking at, because cave divers will dump a piece of gear that isn't "cave" worthy very quickly. I honestly don't think you will make a satisfactory decision on the type of fin that will serve you well until you start your training, and with an instructor that is helping you address trim issues in the cave environment. For example, butt light, want the heavier fins; butt heavy, want something lighter; weak legs in high flow, power fins can cause cramping; smaller cave, short fins better choice, etc. Choosing something that is working well for others doesn't mean it will work well for you, actually cause frustration because you are trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole.

Last edited:
for sidemount, you're going to want a neutral fin vs. a heavy one. The RK3's aren't stiff enough to deal with the high flow caves in Florida properly.
The two most common fins I'm seeing down there now are Dive Rite XT's and Deep6 Eddy's. I have both. The Dive Rite's don't come out very often....

I'm not doubting that Jet fins, Hollis F1, Apeks RK3 etc. are all great and proven cave diving fins. But in the end they're all based on a design from the 60s.

What's wrong with that?

What you should do is get your SM system set up and then try a few different fins. It's the only way to figure out what you need for trim. As t-bone said, most SM divers use more-or-less neutral fins.

Whatever the trim consideration, you need something that's good for back kick, helicopter turns, and moving around the mass of a cave set up. That's almost never going to be a fin designed for recreational diving.

I think if your logic is rejecting a fin type because it was designed in the 60s, then your outcomes may be less than satisfactory. Realize cave diving is the innovation for many things used presently in open water. Something that has longevity in cave diving is worth looking at, because cave divers will dump a piece of gear that isn't "cave" worthy very quickly. I honestly don't think you will make a satisfactory decision on the type of fin that will serve you well until you start your training, and with an instructor that is helping you address trim issues in the cave environment. For example, butt light, want the heavier fins; butt heavy, want something lighter; weak legs in high flow, power fins can cause cramping; smaller cave, short fins better choice, etc. Choosing something that is working well for others doesn't mean it will work well for you, actually cause frustration because you are trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole.

Definitely not rejecting anything from the 60s, just find it strange that despite all the advances in most scuba diving equipment over the past decades, tech fins seem to have shown limited progress and wanted to make sure that new solutions aren't discounted just because of old school pride.
Totally agree with your point about checking fin selection during training and adapted to my own constraints and other equipment, thanks for that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom