Cave diving instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roakey:
According to fellow Wakulla2 divers, Kendall ignored the pre-dive safety checks of his equipment, paid no attention to audio and visual alarms honking and flashing on his rebreather (which his diving companions pointed out to him) and got into the spring alone.
Kendall had been trained extensively in one-on-one sessions with Richard Nordstrom, president of the company that manufactures the unit.

How exactly did the the project kill him? He ignored all the warnings and got in the water anyway so it sounds like he did himself in to me.

Divesherpa:
Lloyd has trained many divers. One of those divers runs another organization. Lloyd is a safe, competent, experienced instructor who does what he loves for a living.
Couldn't agree more, thanks for the opinion.

Josh Levinson:
Hey guys,

Has anyone heard anything about the cave diving instructors John Orlowski and Paul (or Jill) Heinerth (aside from Wendy)? Thanks.

Josh

Hello Josh,

I just completed a Cavern Class with JOHN ORLOWSKI at Peacock Springs this weekend (12-13 Nov 05). I am an AOW Instructor from Nashville and just had my first weekend off in months. I wanted to get started on my path to Cave diving (Something I had never done in the Navy Dive Program). I called up to his shop in Luraville FL and spoke to his wife Shelley. She was very helpful and enthusiastic. John was a great instructor, extremely knowledgeable backed up by incredible “In-water skills”. I had imagined that I would be taught a new set of rules to abide by and some Guideline “Reel Work”. I was in for a real shock. The dives just showed me how much more I had to learn and the techniques I need to work on prior to my next classes (Intro to Cave and Full cave). John will challenge you, encourage you and has a rye humor. I would definitely recommend him. Regards

Alan

Deep Sea Alan:
Hello Josh,

I just completed a Cavern Class with JOHN ORLOWSKI at Peacock Springs this weekend (12-13 Nov 05). I am an AOW Instructor from Nashville and just had my first weekend off in months. I wanted to get started on my path to Cave diving (Something I had never done in the Navy Dive Program). I called up to his shop in Luraville FL and spoke to his wife Shelley. She was very helpful and enthusiastic. John was a great instructor, extremely knowledgeable backed up by incredible “In-water skills”. I had imagined that I would be taught a new set of rules to abide by and some Guideline “Reel Work”. I was in for a real shock. The dives just showed me how much more I had to learn and the techniques I need to work on prior to my next classes (Intro to Cave and Full cave). John will challenge you, encourage you and has a rye humor. I would definitely recommend him. Regards

Alan

Congratulations on the class. I think we were parked next to you at P1 on saturday.

I took cavern,intro and apprentice with Ralph Dipanfilo and would highly recommend him. Also, I dive allot with Johnny Richards students who seem to be very well trained.

MyDiveLog:
Paul seems to be a god in the industry. Sheck Exley referred to him as "Uncle Paul," I think, with a great deal of respect. If he was good ehough for Sheck ...

Also, I think Paul was the guy that went in, found, & recovered the bodies of the two guys that died while cave diving with DPV's, after a number of others had tried and failed to do so. The interview with him that I read spoke volumes about his abilities and also character.

I'd like to add to the comments about Paul Heinerth. I'll admit I'm a new caver and can't compare him to other cave instructors, but here are some things I noticed out of MY cave training. YMMV.

Paul is very patient and does not belittle his students at any time, EVER. Sure, during training, my hubbie and I made some mistakes...he helped us get through the obstacles and at the end of the dive, got us expertly engaged in US telling HIM what we would like to improve upon. Without fail, he'd end up telling a story about how THAT thing we did wrong played a part in some accident...hitting points home, but NOT making us feel stupid. Later, when we'd get it right, he'd remember how hard we'd worked on that and comment how that effort had paid off.

Paul has a lifetime of experience, he serves on the training committee of NSS-CDS and was recently recognized by the NACD for his several years of service. He's had leadership roles in both the NACD and NSS for many years. While in cave country, we'd often observe other instructors come up to him and start conversations. Ultimately, they would have some question to ask him. Sometimes it was personal, often it was about caving, things like: what were the conditions at xyz? can I borrow your analyzer? what's the current standard for xyz? It was obvious that many of the other instructors genuinely liked and respected Paul.

Paul kept training FUN! This can be hard when one deals with the monstrous egos that cavers are famous for. I noticed this firsthand as he seemed to smooth out the competitiveness between my husband and I. He very much promoted the team concept between the three of us.

Paul really encourages independent thought. He reinforces the rules, but encourages you to question and challenge. What may work well for one cave, might not be right for another.

Paul really LIKES diving, especially cave diving. He gets excited when his students like it too, and pays attention to what they are interested in, so he can take them to more of THAT. Of course, he notes what the challenges are too...and makes sure you get lots of opportunities to master that too. He's FUN to be with and to dive with. Not surprisingly, he's also usually booked months ahead of time.

I've also heard many wonderful things about his ex-wife, Jill Heinerth too. I'm told that she is also very patient and has a way about her that makes cave geology seem fascinating. Though no longer married, Paul and Jill often teach together.

MONSTEROUS EGOs????!!!!

NOW YOU TELL ME!!!!

I really like Paul btw...
I have watched him teach...
He's awesome...

And so is Ralph and Johnny and Rick M etc ...
They are all great , in my book.
I learned a lot from EACH of them!!!

jeano Beano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom