Cave diving with Trace course review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beau640

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just finished up “zero to hero” with @Trace Malinowski

Rather than give a day by day breakdown of everything we did, will just give an overall picture of what the course was like and then what I think about his teaching style.

The course took 8 days but could be done in 7 if you wanted to push yourself. We had scheduled 10 days of total time to include class + fun diving after class and so we went at a comfortable pace and stretched it to 8 days of class. The class itself was standard. Powerpoint slides in the morning which was pretty terrible. PSAI doesn’t have any online material and requires you to go through the slides with the instructor. The slides are essentially verbatim copy of the book you have to read before you come to class and so it is a completely waste of time. Trace recognized this as well and has been trying to get rid of the slides however it’s a requirement by the agency. Then there would be land drills which were very useful. Then 2 75ish minute dives a day. Over the class time we went to three systems – peacock springs, ginnie springs, and little river. Days tended to be about 12 hours long total.

Overall this was the best training I’ve ever received. Trace is very laid back overall, but takes your training seriously. This will not be militant style degrading training, but also will not be aa “just put in the class time and you are guaranteed a pass.” He is very good about keeping you on your toes and figuring out both where you excel and where you need more work. When he finds your weakness, he will exploit it and make you work hard to improve over the upcoming dives. I feel like there was a drastic improvement in my ability over the course time.

One thing I really enjoyed is that Trace will teach you what the technical standards are and what technically the manuals say you are supposed to do on a dive, and make you do that too in the beginning, but then will on later dives explain to you realistically what everyone is doing and how everyone is diving. His philosophy is to teach you the right way but also explain to you what everyone else is doing around you so that when the class is over and you are diving without an instructor you know how everyone in the area is realistically diving.

He also takes a lot of time to teach you how to actually dive each cave. Other instructors will constantly hammer you with failures and break you over and over every dive of the class. By the end of the class you will be comfortable with failures, but will have no idea how to actually cave dive. Trace will take time to teach you the subtleties of each cave and how to actually be an excellent cave diver (assuming you’ve proven to him earlier that you can handle the failures, and still every now and again they will be thrown in to make sure you are staying on your toes).

In summary, I would recommend Trace to anyone who is looking to learn to cave dive, is willing to work hard and take it seriously, but also wants to have fun doing it. I’ve already scheduled some other courses with him. Was well worth the time and money.

When you say "Zero to hero" - what was your certification before you started your cave course?

I totally agree...
Trace is one of the very finest instructors and great ambassadors of the sport

You were fortunate to have had such a fine through instructor

Dr. Samuel Miller, 111
LA Co UW instructor - 11 UICC
NAUI #27
PADI #241
etc

I teach students what some of the old-timers do so they can recognize it when they see it, what most traditional cave agencies teach, the DIR approach, and open water tie-off's vs. safe exits because students will see that too. For example, you'll see people use the safe exit lines at Peacock. I let the student experience how well certain things work ... or don't. Most people, once they set up and complete the Bone Circuit will simply collect the spool between the gold line and bone jump during exit. In Beau's class, he did that and I cut the line placing us in a lost line situation. Beau had done the lost line drills without being able to see. In this case, as a buddy, I held the end of the line on a rock and he searched for the gold line then reeled me in once he found it. Now, do you really want to pick up that jump risking something like that with low gas? Or, do you want to come in again for a clean-up dive? You tell me.

Last edited:
When I say zero to hero I meant no Cave diving experience. I do have experience in overheads and wreck dive routinely. highest certification I guess would be advanced nitrox/decompression procedures through TDI.

Zero to hero is just the term given when you do the intensive course going through full cave all at once rather than breaking it all up into parts over time

Last edited:
I think a good example of what I meant that Trace kind of highlighted above is again what some of the “old timers do” The amount of people that have been cave diving for years/are extremely experienced dive in wetsuits with steel tanks without pockets without back up masks etc. from what I saw that was not a rare occurrence. Trace never asked me to violate standards or even suggested/recommended that I do what they are doing but rather explained other people‘s approach to Cave diving and why they feel like that was a rational approach/safe approach so that I would recognize things when I saw them after class/outside of class

Another example would be at Peacock I routinely saw people not running guidelines from open water into the cave. Although we always did for class, Trace explained that some people for ecological reasons feel the line does not need to be run from open water because the gold line is so close to a safe exit. although we always ran line from open water it was nice to have explain to me what other people are doing and why

During class things were by the book but it was nice to see and have explained other peoples approaches to things since people don’t always do things by the book and you can recognize variation in diving practice.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom