Cave fatality in Russia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VR78

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Глава дайверской федерации Удмуртии погиб в сочинской подводной пещере: Водные виды: Спорт: Lenta.ru
Разыскиваемый в Сочи дайвер является аквалангистом, покорившим самую глубокую пещеру РФ

Summary from these and other sources: An experienced, 49-year old cave diver has not returned from a solo dive in a cave near Sochi on September 13, 2017. Body was found at the depth of 42 m but hasn't been brought to the surface yet. Apparently, the diver was entangled in a metal cable. No further details at the moment.

Last edited:
The translations I read were kinda vague as to to what he was entangled in and didn't mention if that was the suspected cause or something that happened in the last throes.

The translations I read were kinda vague as to to what he was entangled in and didn't mention if that was the suspected cause or something that happened in the last throes.

My understanding that it was an old communications cable, and that this sort of cables used to be frequently used as guideline in Russia in 1950-90s.

As cave divers we are taught to not go under a line in case of entanglement. Some additional risk being alone if there is an issue. Would expect he would remove gear to understand and resolve the problem. Perhaps he was in a restriction and didn't have that option. RIP

My understanding that it was an old communications cable, and that this sort of cables used to be frequently used as guideline in Russia in 1950-90s.

A "signal cable" is a possibility but this is the literal google hit: Шнур сигнальный полипропиленовый | ООО "Ремера" -- between the journalist's retelling of what the "anonymous rescuer" said and "шнур" being any kind of rope or cable or line, it could just as easily be cave line.

Как сообщил источник, участвовавший в поисках, дайвер погиб при попытке подняться на поверхность. «Он запутался в оставленном кем-то при прошлых погружениях сигнальном шнуре» — пояснил собеседник
According to a source who took part in the search the diver perished attempting to reach the surface. "He got entangled in a signal line left behind by previous divers" - explained the source.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Weird...a polypropylene or nylon line should be easily cut with a knife. Possibly, the journalists misunderstood the preliminary report, and he was not entangled but confused by the line left by previous divers which took him the wrong way. Anyway, they lifted his body up.

Weird...a polypropylene or nylon line should be easily cut with a knife. Possibly, the journalists misunderstood the preliminary report, and he was not entangled but confused by the line left by previous divers which took him the wrong way. Anyway, they lifted his body up.
Not always the case with line. You can't cut it it if you can't see/feel/find it. It's mentioned above and I've heard it before personally, in some areas people used steel line, phone line, and all kinds of whatever was available. That could be a whole 'nuther level of mess. I havent seen anything yet if the entanglement was believed to be the cause or if it was a symptom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom