Cave Fills on LP tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a couple of probability and statistics courses, study some materials science, spend some time in the lab, build some things based on what you know and find out if you're always right, then come back and tell me if you still feel the same way.
How many decades of overfills do we have now without a single incident?

Ohyarite it’s unsafe.

So:

1) Rules limit pressure, which most shops and divers will follow. So the vast masses should be fine.

2) Some, based on engineering and experience, say higher is safe. Most of them are playing around with lots of hard stuff between them and the surface. It's not a big crowd, and they're big girls and boys.

3) Some, worried it's not safe, stick to lower limits. They're big girls and boys, so fine. They're worried everyone should do the same, or accidents will go up; see the second half of #1....

How many decades of overfills do we have now without a single incident?

Ohyarite it’s unsafe.

There is thought to be a worldwide population of 30 million cylinders with a 6351 alloy prone to SLC. There is probably an average of 20 years of service per cylinder. It would be more, but many were taken out of service early.

If memory serves, there have been 7 accidents resulting from ruptures. This has been judged unacceptable, and so the various inspection protocols have been put in place, and many of the cylinders were taken out of service early on safety grounds, at a cost of over a billion dollars.

Less than one accident per 4 million cylinders, over a 20 year period.

How many 3AA cylinders do you think have been filled to 90% of test pressure? Thousands? Maybe somewhere in the low tens of thousands? And based on that tiny sample alone, you're bold enough to claim that they're safe? Safe enough that you're encouraging some guy you've never met to overfill whatever cylinder he buys, without any discussion of the risks, where his kids, UPS driver, housekeeper, and fire department could be exposed to the risk without informed consent? When there are safer alternatives available?

Let me shed some light on the term stroke! Stroke refers to a unsafe diver, someone that violates regulations and standards as example. Thus when describing a diver as a stroke, we refer to his unsafe practices and mindset.

Name calling on the other hand is the use of offensive names especially to win an argument without objective consideration of the facts.

Direct violation of DOT regulations = unsafe practises
When I use stroke I refer to an unsafe diver(s)

With that said, let me reword my previous (Removed by SB) comment.

Here are many unsafe divers!!

Stroke definition
The term *stroke* was coined by Parker Turner, the original project director of the WKPP. Parker, much like Irvine, had a no-nonsense approach to diving and running the WKPP. Parker had his rules as to the team and one either followed them or they weren't on the team. It was as plain and simple as that. But what Parker found over the years that there were so many people trying to get on the team without the willingness to put in the requisite work. Instead they would come up to Parker and tell him how they had done this dive or that dive, blah, blah, blah and Parker said that he was sick of these guys *stroking* him to get on the team.. That's the evolution of the word. It has since been expanded to include diver's that approach diving with an unsafe and/or cavalier attitude towards diving.. "

We are all aware of the origin. It is also used exclusively as a derogatory term. It is also almost exclusively used to win arguments.
Referring to people as strokes is not allowed on SB.

It falls under “attacking the person not the action” and will be removed on sight.

Pretending it was a spelling mistake afterwards fools nobody.

Stroke definition
The term *stroke* was coined by Parker Turner, the original project director of the WKPP. Parker, much like Irvine, had a no-nonsense approach to diving and running the WKPP.

Who wants to bet that Parker Turner cave filled his LP tanks? I’ll put $100 on yes. Perhaps the current members of the WKPP, the people who you are talking to right now, will know for sure.

There is thought to be a worldwide population of 30 million cylinders with a 6351 alloy prone to SLC. There is probably an average of 20 years of service per cylinder. It would be more, but many were taken out of service early.

If memory serves, there have been 7 accidents resulting from ruptures. This has been judged unacceptable, and so the various inspection protocols have been put in place, and many of the cylinders were taken out of service early on safety grounds, at a cost of over a billion dollars.

Less than one accident per 4 million cylinders, over a 20 year period.

How many 3AA cylinders do you think have been filled to 90% of test pressure? Thousands? Maybe somewhere in the low tens of thousands? And based on that tiny sample alone, you're bold enough to claim that they're safe? Safe enough that you're encouraging some guy you've never met to overfill whatever cylinder he buys, without any discussion of the risks, where his kids, UPS driver, housekeeper, and fire department could be exposed to the risk without informed consent? When there are safer alternatives available?
No one here is talking about overfilling aluminum tanks. SLC 6351 is irrelevant.

There have been zero examples of lp steel tanks that are in hydro and vip rupturing. Goose egg. It just doesn’t happen.

It’s complete make-pretend to act like there’s some sort of issue here. The ONLY reason you think there’s a problem is because someone whacked the shoulder of the cylinder with 2400.

Let me shed some light on the term stroke! Stroke refers to a unsafe diver, someone that violates regulations and standards as example. Thus when describing a diver as a stroke, we refer to his unsafe practices and mindset.

Name calling on the other hand is the use of offensive names especially to win an argument without objective consideration of the facts.

Stroke definition
The term *stroke* was coined by Parker Turner, the original project director of the WKPP. Parker, much like Irvine, had a no-nonsense approach to diving and running the WKPP. Parker had his rules as to the team and one either followed them or they weren't on the team. It was as plain and simple as that. But what Parker found over the years that there were so many people trying to get on the team without the willingness to put in the requisite work. Instead they would come up to Parker and tell him how they had done this dive or that dive, blah, blah, blah and Parker said that he was sick of these guys *stroking* him to get on the team.. That's the evolution of the word. It has since been expanded to include diver's that approach diving with an unsafe and/or cavalier attitude towards diving.. "
If it’s unsafe why has there never been a problem?

Hint: it’s not unsafe.

Yet the vast majority of people believe e in things they have zero evidence of. Thats concerning in my opinion.
Life would be very hard if you didn't. Probably to the point where you wouldn't be a functional person anymore. Most of what people do on a daily basis involves lots of "trust me" scenarios.

Stroke definition
I wonder what parker turner or these crazy wkpp folks would think about overfilling steel cylinders...
i wonder if he (or they) would think you solo diving or overfilling lp steel cylinders was the more egregious stroke ****...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom