Cave Fills on LP tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so why do you think more gas isn't a consideration here?
are you a technical diver?

1) Because high capacity cylinders are now available that are safe and fulfill the needs of these dives
2) Because deep dives that are not in a cave can be planned for a shorter bottom time to suit gas available

He did specifically ask about getting and overfilling LP tanks in that post. We told him it's a common thing to do and it has a track record of being safe, despite being against "da rules".

It is not a common thing to do for the kinds of dives he's contemplating in the part of the country where he's planning to do them.

1) Because high capacity cylinders are now available that are safe and fulfill the needs of these dives
I haven't seen them. The largest HP tanks I see are only 130cuft. To match a properly filled LP108 (3600) you're going to need to overfill that HP130 to 3900.

I guess you could always dive with one of those 300cuft bank bottles. I did see photos of someone who did that on SB once :wink:

Faber HP149s are available. I've seen them in person. DGX, among others, has offered them for sale in the recent past. Due to the recent move away from painted cylinders in favor of spray galvanized ones, they are not at present listed on the DGX website.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Folks, the 'stroke' discussion is off-topic and is getting out of hand. Enough of that. Several recent posts on the subject of 'strokes' have been deleted. This thread is about cave fills of LP cylinders. If you have something to contribute to that discussion focus, please do so.

Note: the OP has not posted since 2012. So their type of diving might be interesting, but not them specifically.

Well guys, if you really want to quibble, how full do you fill your Al 80 stages?

Well guys, if you really want to quibble, how full do you fill your Al 80 stages?
I fill my cylinders to the rated working pressure, which is 3000psi for most AL80s.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom