Cave Incident - Jackson Cnty, TN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does NDL go away if it gets shallower?

When one doesn't get shallower fast enough. Had it happen to me following a lake bottom up. If one is deep enough and the ascent rate isn't fast enough, NDL will decrease. Yet another reason overheads can be dangerous.

Bob

When one doesn't get shallower fast enough. Had it happen to me following a lake bottom up. If one is deep enough and the ascent rate isn't fast enough, NDL will decrease. Yet another reason overheads can be dangerous.

Bob
Sure, no issue with what you are saying. But that wasn't his situation.

Posted this in another thread but thought it was fitting for this thread as well. A little more of reported facts of the incident. Facts speak louder than speculation.

Post #59 from Opie has report of incident in much more detail

http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showthread.php/36581-cave-diver-missing-in-TN/page6

" Here are the facts - Tn has some beautiful and unique caves, I was the original explorer to just past the first restriction. Life got in the way and new sites were found so I never took the time to go back. Weeks later Jason Richards extended my line to the air bell. About two years ago I made a dive along with a friend to the airball to check it out, with having much easier sites to explore I decided I would let Jason finish the exploration. Fast forward to present a couple weeks ago a group of brits have arrived in Tn. The group of about 20 consisted of mostly dry cavers with 3 cave divers. While the dry cavers were working on connecting 3 major cave systems to make the Mountain Eye systems over 100 mi long. The divers were looking for springs and sumps to explore. I took them around or gave them locations on stuff I have either explored that still had work left to do or virgin stuff that I haven't had time to go and check out. After going around looking at stuff they picked out some sites they wanted to push.Friday we ended up at the Mill pond , making a dive to the air bell, where they decided they would like to replace the #24 cave line that was in there due to the fear of a break or lost line with thick drygloves. The plan was put in place to reline the cave with polypro line to the air bell then to continue exploration. This was the point I told Josh he should take my suit and undergarment since I had to work the next week and wouldn't be making the dive and needing it.

Tuesday the plan was set in place to reline. Another local cave diver was set to go with them for surface support. On the way home from work I phone the surface support diver to check to see how much cave booty they have gotten aka Virgin passage appox 1500. No answer well no big deal as service is spotty in that area. About 10 mins later I received a call back excited for the news to only have my heart drop and tears come to my eyes when the words "Josh is missing" came from his voice. I quickly replied I'm 30 mins from home and 45 to the sites ill grab my kit and extra bottles and be there asap. Arriving at the site of which I was expecting to be bad viz since its a super slity cave with no traffic only 5 divers have seen the air bell at this point. After getting some information Diver 1 was laying new line in Diver 2 "Josh" was reeling in the #24 line from the surface to the airbell behind diver 1. Appox 250-275' in the were seperated where diver 1 turned the dive, making it to the surface where he expected diver 2 to be already taking kit off. When no sign of diver 2, diver 1 instantly went back in for a search. The search continued to 2200 hrs where the viz was totally blown making this situation possibly a multi rescue or recovery. Plan was made to return to my house to fill bottles give the silt time to clear and go back in. Keeping in mind we are certain he is in the air bell since the line he is reeling up has a tie off in the air bell and once he got ahead of diver 1 viz would have improved to a couple feet.
Some comments ask why was it so hard to find since its a one way in one way out passage and very short. Imagine finding virgin cave in zero viz and the viz I'm talking is not a small silt cloud, its you take a 3000 lumen primary and stick to your mask where you could barely get a faint glow. Now run line tie in to the eol at the polypro making searches, make tie offs, make sure you don't have line traps, then you have to navigate major restrictions, now you can get an idea this is a major problem.
Wednesday appox 0200 BCR contacts me and asked for a description of the site and situation. I gave them what they needed. Between diver 1 and diver 3 both brits then my self we agreed the dive would be best made with someone with no emotional attachment in case of the worse.0300 phone to Edd Sorenson we talked for a bit gave all information and plans were made for him and Mike Young to make the dive. 0600 arrived at site to see the viz had improved greatly to around 5-7'. Edd arrives and gets in the water while Mike is doing surface, 20 mins later we have our friend back. I can't give thanks to Edd or Mike enough for making the trip and the dive.

Now for the site comments. This site will remain closed for good its on private property thats been in the family for decades, this isn't a site where you would want to spend a few hours diving on the weekend to have fun we have much better sites in the area for that.From all the media attention we have received and none of it is good or help for the future, I'm almost certain this will affect the local cave exploration for years to come.When the head reported for Good Morning America says land owners should not allow cave diving on their property that makes for a real tough argument to the land owner that we are very capable diver to execute the dives we are asking to do. You dont hear on main stream media about finding miles of new cave or new species of inverts or find out where the water source is actually coming from to know how to improve our local water sources, you only hear of one incident out of 1000s of dives. So I'm not very hopeful that the local diving will continue as it was.
What I am most excited about is I now have a great story I can tell my kids and friends, I got the see my friend again and hug his neck, and I get to plan for exploration dives with all of them. All in all it was a scary few hours but a blessing from God that it all worked out."

Perhaps. The web links fir that cavern say it only goes for maybe 140 ft, not 500, and that light from the entrance is indeed visible while inside. So it passes one test to be a cavern -- visible light -- but not the other: never more than 130 ft (or 200 ft, depending on the agency) from the surface. So if the entrance is at 95 ft, you can only penetrate 35 ft, or maybe 105 ft, but not 140 and definitely not 500. Even as a cavern dive, you dive using no more air than rule-of-thirds, a guideline, and two lights. So, I doubt it was a proper cavern dive, and probably was an improper cave dive. That's how people die.

hmm well all of us had 19cf ponys and I had a 100cf also. But now that I think about it were were not as far in as a full football field and thats 300 feet. i might put it at half a football field or 150 feet in and ascending ceiling as you go deeper so as you go up light does dim.

The cavern is very wide though inside so you can tour it starting left and going around the back to the right side and come out that wall opposite the one you came in thus making it feel much deeper as its so large and raised in the back.

I get what you are saying about adding horizontal length in to the depth as that is used for wreck diving which i did 4 wrecks in coron. THOSE would have really pissed you off if this irritates you lol. That said rules may have been broken on this cavern dive but the guys I dove with were tech DMs. the whole operation had setups with all rental gear being backplate and wing, doubles tanks if you want, 19cf rental ponys and 40 cf rental deco bottles...or used as a 40 pony if you wanted.
Very professional compared to anything else philippines. Scottys dive shop in the Shangri La hotel at lapu lapu on mactan island cebu.

They only take AOW divers with about 50 plus dives minimum on the marigondon cavern dive.

I'm not irritated. I'm saddened.

I hear ya. About 18 months ago maybe almost two years now the deepest Coron wreck the Irako had a fatality and I blame that on the dive operation running it. there are many in Coron. I dove with reggae divers and they keep 1 DM to 2 AOW divers.
The fatality had an operation that was leading 5 Divers with 1 DM. and from what I see probably all divers had just 80cf tanks. I used reggae because they are one of only two operations that has AL100s for rent which is what I used anywhere i dove in philippines along with my 19cf pony every dive.

We couldnt dive the Irako when I went as both mooring lines were lost and no dive operations could find it until they fix that.

All the above said I do agree NO ONE should be diving coron wrecks on a single AL80 tank. The wrecks were a blast though but id have been scared to death to do it on a single 80 with no pony as most were doing. Probably because they dont read scubaboard and dont realize its dangerous.

There are currents at the surface that if your not holding a granny line to get from one panga to another you are gonzo ....swept away so multiple things can go wrong. several wrecks had multiple boats and one boat would connect to mooring line so if your boat arrives you need to granny line across to whatever boat is moored to the line going down to a wreck and you need to hold the line descending as theres current until about halfway down on most wrecks with it strongest at surface.

@loosenit2 that's a great report. I would make on but that ones perfect. Opie had invited me to work surface support for that dive but I had to decline due to school. Then that weekend I spoke with the Hamilton county cave and cliff rescue team about the incident. The resurgence was basically a 400ft straight shot to the air bell. The method they used to reline obviously is flawed as it temporarily removes the continuous guideline. Hats off to Edd and Mike for the rescue.

Back
Top Bottom