Cave instructor recommendation who allows back mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beau640

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was interested in pursing cavern and intro to cave this winter down in Florida and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for an instructor, preferably one that will allow you to take the course in back mount. I have a couple of friends who have done intro to cave in the last year but their instructors required side mount. Although I'm not opposed to learning side mount in the future, I don't plan in the near future to dive in caves that would actually require side mount to get through. I'd rather train with what I'm already very comfortable performing overhead/penetration diving in and extend my skills to cave diving before tackling side mount later on. I also just don't feel like investing the time/money into side mount right now either
:D

Now if this turns into the "help me find an octo holder" thread and 100 people tell me you just can't dive back mount in caves anymore, I'll learn side mount if I really have to, but I'd prefer to do my initial training in back mount if anyone knows a quality instructor who will allow this.

Beau

The GUE team is good. Any of the High Springs folks. If you don't want to drink the tasty GUE kool-aid I took cavern from Jonathan Bernot at Cave Country Dive shop and he was very good. There are lots of other folks there that are good, but those are the ones I have trained with for something.

I teach PSAI cave in backmount doubles only. I'm committed to Hogarthian diving even though Edd Sorenson makes fun of me.

Johnny Richards, he teaches out of Ginnie Springs and as such includes your entry and air while training at Ginnie. Naturally if you went to another site that requires an entry fee you would need to pay. Excellent instructor and he certs through TDI and I think IANTD.

Edit : Removed the reference to paying to get into Little River.

Last edited:
Jim Wyatt teaches in BM if he is still teaching cave. I know for awhile he seemed to be focusing more on wreck diving in the keys. I took cavern from him. Interesting guy. I can confirm that it is possible to yell underwater and be clearly understood! :D

He is a member here on SB and occasionally participates. In fact he started a thread some time ago on how to pick an instructor. I will see if I can find it.

Found it: How to choose a Cave Instructor - My opinion

Last edited:
Was interested in pursing cavern and intro to cave this winter down in Florida and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for an instructor, preferably one that will allow you to take the course in back mount.

You can't dive cave in backmount anymore..... Sorry.. had to say it :)

Marrisa Waltman Hidden Worlds Diving She is in Gainesville FL and will teach you what ever configuration you want to dive in....

@Trace Malinowski would be a great choice and so would @kensuf, @Capt Jim Wyatt or @Jill Heinerth. I'm not sure if Pam Wooten teaches above cavern, but she's an awesome choice as well. I look up to all of these great instructors and they all do back mount as well as side mount.

Ken teaches NAUI and though Cave 1 was exactly what I was looking for it is a bit more than Cavern and Intro... BUT DEFINITELY one to add to your list.... The bigger picture is be comfortable with your instructor FIRST... Maybe he teaches through other organizations too...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom