Cave instructor recommendation who allows back mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim, although I'm a cave instructor through NAUI, I'm also an advanced cave instructor through the NSS-CDS, IANTD, and TDI (cavern, intro, apprentice, full cave, stage, dpv, etc). NAUI Cave 1 is basically similar to NSS-CDS Apprentice (NAUI = 2 nav decisions, no deco, NSS-CDS Apprentice is 1 nav decision and ~10 minutes light deco).

WOW, I will keep that in mind... I had no idea. Based on all our conversations being NAUI related. I thought at Cave1 I could do 3 nav decissions... which honestly is 2 more than I have ever done or felt the need to do and could stay at this level for a long time. I have been VERY happy with NAUI Cave1.

Ken is being modest and gracious.. One of my dive buddies was trained by Ken and passed on glowing reviews.

:) I'm sure much to his chagrin, he is on my top 3 list of instructors I would continue my cave education with (if he would have me anyway) :)

I took naui c1 years ago. I think it's too much too soon.

All depends on how the student utilizes it after class. Gave me time to grow and expand my skills on my own time.... A student who finishes Cave 1 and immediately goes out and does a 3 jump dive... YES its to much to soon.

All depends on how the student utilizes it after class. Gave me time to grow and expand my skills on my own time.... A student who finishes Cave 1 and immediately goes out and does a 3 jump dive... YES its to much to soon.
Even in the class.

You're brand new and should be doing brand new diver stuff, not jumps Ts thirds and "safety bottle".

Even in the class.

You're brand new and should be doing brand new diver stuff, not jumps Ts thirds and "safety bottle".

Ok, you make a good point... I was cavern for almost 3 years before taking Cave1.... I was just thinking POST class.

I agree with both points of view on Cave 1. It has benefits if you plan on staying at one level and not going for full cave for an extended period of time (more than a year). I broke up my training with a fun cave trip and after 12 intro dives I was ready (wanted) to move on. The class condenses a lot of material and is not for everyone. As a general rule of thumb, I would say don’t even think about taking Cave 1, especially from a demanding instructor, without a GUE/UTD fundies Rec Pass. Not to say that you don’t need decent skills for the Cavern/Intro route, but Intro is slightly less material and a little more “training wheels”.

ITT: every instructor is recommended because everyone likes thinks their own cave instructor is good
Except that in this case he is asking a specific question, an instructor that teaches in BM rather then SM in Florida. And while instructors may teach in both there are certainly instructors that focus on one verses the other.

For example Jim Wyatt dives BM while Edd Sorenson is known for SM.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom