cave line, O-rings, inner tube...pictures please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not being able to clip off my longhose would be a big deal. the spg, not so much. I've actually had cave line fail on my spg twice so it's not a huge deal

not being able to clip off my longhose would be a big deal. the spg, not so much. I've actually had cave line fail on my spg twice so it's not a huge deal

I'm normally breathing my long hose, so no need to clip it. :wink:

But seriously, during deco or something if I had a clip fail, not that big a deal, Just tuck a loop of it into your shoulder harness, or d-ring. Been there, done that, it works just fine in a pinch.

For me, the loss of the connection to clip off my primary does not mean that I can not clip off the long hose. I see a couple options. One is to attach a double ender to the hose directly and clip that to the D-ring. Another is to tuck that primary between the LPI hose and the corrugated hose. I'm sure I could figure out other place to store the primary in an improvised manner if needed.

For me, the loss of the connection to clip off my primary does not mean that I can not clip off the long hose. I see a couple options. One is to attach a double ender to the hose directly and clip that to the D-ring. Another is to tuck that primary between the LPI hose and the corrugated hose. I'm sure I could figure out other place to store the primary in an improvised manner if needed.

that would be a heck of a double ender.

or you could tie it with line and not have to make these decisions underwater, with the clock ticking on a deep dive (if your doing deep dives). i think that might just be the hogarthian solution :wink:

these seem like solutions to problems that don't exist to me. in my mind if the 'problem' is the long hose is snagging on stuff on the boat and you might fall over, the 'solution' is to just not let it do that lol

that would be a heck of a double ender.
I use a standard, 4" SS double ender and it will easily go over my primary hose like he described.

or you could tie it with line and not have to make these decisions underwater, with the clock ticking on a deep dive (if your doing deep dives). i think that might just be the hogarthian solution :wink:

these seem like solutions to problems that don't exist to me. in my mind if the 'problem' is the long hose is snagging on stuff on the boat and you might fall over, the 'solution' is to just not let it do that lol

Yes, the best solution is to not let it snag in the first place, but sometimes S*** happens, even if you're careful. I guess you've never been in a tight restriction and had a hose snag either?

Like I said, if you prefer cave line, great. My preferences are just slightly different on somethings.

I use a standard, 4" SS double ender and it will easily go over my primary hose.

Yes, the best solution is to not let it snag in the first place, but sometimes S*** happens, even if you're careful. I guess you've never been in a tight restriction and had a hose snag either?

Like I said, if you prefer cave line, great. My preferences are just slightly different on somethings.

partly why I'd prefer cave line. I'd rather have to back up and free something than have it snap off.

partly why I'd prefer cave line. I'd rather have to back up and free something than have it snap off.

I've never had it snap off in a cave. But I have that option if were to find myself keyholed somehow. I think it'd rather pop the connection, than try to reach back blind behind me with a knife if I had to cut an SPG free.

I don't use o-rings on backup lights, but don't see any issue with using it on hoses.

Cave Diver, you might be underestimating the amount of force needed to break that o-ring. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to break it just by swimming. Of course, if you do pop it, now your (whatever) is dangling.

The real issue with rubber-ish items (o rings, edpm bands, regular rubber bands) is that they break when you don't want them to. This is why many of us have extra bands on our harness, scooter bodies,stages, or light ballast, and replace them when they get worn.

Proper management of your equipment (tuck your spg in your belt if it could get snagged, clipping off the longhose, etc) goes a long way to prevent any issue with "snagging" of gear. The alternative methods (breakaways and rubberbands) results in premature breaks or extra slack between the d-ring and whatever you're clipping off.

Cave Diver, you might be underestimating the amount of force needed to break that o-ring. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to break it just by swimming. Of course, if you do pop it, now your (whatever) is dangling.
I think you're misreading my posts.

The real issue with rubber-ish items (o rings, edpm bands, regular rubber bands) is that they break when you don't want them to. This is why many of us have extra bands on our harness, scooter bodies,stages, or light ballast, and replace them when they get worn.
I'm aware of the issues. Periodic inspection goes a long way towards that. I have yet to have the o-ring connection on my SPG fail unexpectedly, but LiteHedded referenced two failures of cave line.
Proper management of your equipment (tuck your spg in your belt if it could get snagged, clipping off the longhose, etc) goes a long way to prevent any issue with "snagging" of gear. The alternative methods (breakaways and rubberbands) results in premature breaks or extra slack between the d-ring and whatever you're clipping off.
I've yet to have an issue with premature breakage. See my previous comment. As far as extra slack goes, that all goes back to how you make the connection. Stuff I've used o-rings on are just as "tight" as you can get using cave line.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom