cave line or o-rings (bolt snap)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So how do you attach you bolt snaps? Cave line or o-ring?
I have all mine done with cave line.

Jason

I have all attached with cave-line except the boltsnap on my primary 7' hose. That I have attached with a breakaway o-ring.

Matt

I have one with line, one with a really thin zip tie, and one with an o-ring.

The orings last about a year as far as I can tell. I just use the ones that I pull out of my regs.

Peter

Corigan:
I have all attached with cave-line except the boltsnap on my primary 7' hose. That I have attached with a breakaway o-ring.

Matt
Why a breakaway on your primary reg?

FreeFloat:
Why a breakaway on your primary reg?
It is for a few different reasons. Basically it makes it a fast-access point. If it is clipped off and you need it now you can just rip it off the d-ring. This is if you are dealing with stages, switching around regs, etc. If the primary is clipped off while decoing, OOA diver comes to you and you need to donate with your backgas then you could easily rip it off your right shoulder d-ring and donate. Since I don't use stages this doesn't apply to me, but I still use this method for clipping off my reg on landsince I saw it hit the ground once on the 7'. Also during dives I will sometimes clip off my primary and use my safe second to make sure it is fully functional and working properly. When I do this I will clip off the regulator. If an OOA diver came up to me in this state it would be easy to remove the primary from the d-ring/boltsnap with a simple tug. Nice and quick. The breakaway is plenty stable for everyday usage. I have never had one break un-intentional on me, but I did do plenty of tests and saw what little strength it does take to break. Here is a link to a page explaining the breakaway:

http://www.divetekadventures.com/Technical_attachCaveLine.htm

There is a section on the bottom there about breakaway boltsnaps.

Some people don't believe in breakaways, and that is a whole other can of worms.

Matt

Cave line will last longer if it is secured correctly

I never use cave line for anything other than cave line/lift bag etc.
For securing boltsnaps, I use bicycle innertube (various sizes) cut to give me the length, strength and breakaway characteristics I want.
Rick

I thread an o-ring through the boltsnap eye and then use a cable tie to secure the two ends of the o-ring to the hose; quick and easy.

I use hair ties, the wife use a black bungee type hair tie from wal-mart. They have two sizes the small size I use for my 7' hose, and the larger size for keeping my BP/W inflator hose in front of me. only $1.20 / 1.50 for a bag (12 or 18) I figure I'm set for a few years. Although the wife can't figure out where all her hair ties have gone to.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom