cave line or o-rings (bolt snap)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomx5:
Caveline only. The o-ring thing isn't taught in GUE classes.

I don't know what is current GUE curriculumn. But, the general rule is, if you absolutley don't want to lose it, cave line. So, backuplights, primary lights, stuff in your pockets, etc. are caveline.

The 7' hose and stage regs are a different animal. Something breakaway for the reasons gien above is best. I have seen both o-ring and straight tie wrap (which is less break away, but still easier than line) used.

For the HP gauge, it goes back and forth. Since there is no way to lose it, a breakaway makes sense in case it gets hung up. However, the o-rings do tend to get old and break rather often which is a pain and is the reason many people go with cave line here too.

RTodd:
I don't know what is current GUE curriculumn. But, the general rule is, if you absolutley don't want to lose it, cave line. So, backuplights, primary lights, stuff in your pockets, etc. are caveline.

The 7' hose and stage regs are a different animal. Something breakaway for the reasons gien above is best. I have seen both o-ring and straight tie wrap (which is less break away, but still easier than line) used.

For the HP gauge, it goes back and forth. Since there is no way to lose it, a breakaway makes sense in case it gets hung up. However, the o-rings do tend to get old and break rather often which is a pain and is the reason many people go with cave line here too.

I know the system has had a couple of revisions. When I originally started a few years ago I was taught the o-ring method. However, it was later revised to cave line as it came down from GUE. Personally, I use cave line only so I don't have to worry about an oring breaking and not being able to clip off my long hose, which could be a real pain. I've also, gone through some recent photos of JJ, Rhea, Sherwood etc, and they all are using cave line to secure the bolt snap to their primary regs, but I do understand what your saying about the issue.

I use a O-ring break away on my primary, because, during a dive I always breath from mu secondary for a short period, mostly in the beginning of the dive. That way I'm sure it's working properly. During that, I clip my primary with the breakaway, so I can donate immediately if necessary. The rest of the boltsnaps are tied with cave line, because i don't want to lose anything. For the pressure gauge too, because I can't imagine getting stuck with that.
Greetzz
Gino

boomx5:
I know the system has had a couple of revisions. When I originally started a few years ago I was taught the o-ring method. However, it was later revised to cave line as it came down from GUE. Personally, I use cave line only so I don't have to worry about an oring breaking and not being able to clip off my long hose, which could be a real pain. I've also, gone through some recent photos of JJ, Rhea, Sherwood etc, and they all are using cave line to secure the bolt snap to their primary regs, but I do understand what your saying about the issue.

I suspect this is one of those things that depends on the dives to some extent. For an openwater rig or a doubles only dive, you never really have it clipped off and it doesn't matter. For a staged cave dive where you never unclip it, break away can be more important.

As for them breaking during the dive, they tend to break with the clip still on the d-ring. So, all you need to do is reattach it. This is easily dealt with by keeping some tie wraps in your wetnotes.

I use cave line for all bolt snap connections, though it is mostly cause of the diving that I due. When I did a lot of open water deep diving I used snorkel keepers for my regs on deco bottles. Now I get into tight enough passage in caves more than any other type of diving and I don't want the reg trailing off behind me or catching in a crevice.

Bobby

I will also confirm that GUE now teaches cave line only for everything. However, on my deco bottle regs, I use o-rings to secure them to the tanks. I would otherwise worry about them possibly getting pulled out of the bands if scootering against a heavy current. On the other hand, I like the idea of being able to yank them hard to break the o-ring if I need to.

What can I say?: GUE gods look the other way. :11:

How? Are you using tie-wraps on the ends or tying them or?
Rick Murchison:
I never use cave line for anything other than cave line/lift bag etc.
For securing boltsnaps, I use bicycle innertube (various sizes) cut to give me the length, strength and breakaway characteristics I want.
Rick
Personally, I no longer use breakaways on bolt snaps. I used to use o-rings but suffered a couple of failures while scrabbling around inside wrecks, so I retreated to #24 cave line. I'm comfortable with my ability to quickly (and blindly) find the snap-bolts and it's not a long reach for the shears/knife if something fouls up and I need to cut the connection.

I use caveline. Actually, I used nylon survey line, because I can get it in yellow, which I find to be more visible underwater. I carry a z-knife on my webbing that will easily sever the line if needed. Actually it's not a z-knife, those are plastic without replaceable blades. I found a European knife that is the same design but is aluminum and has replacable blades.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom