Cave Photo Gallery-Post Some

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The general consensus seems to be that wearing gloves in a cave is a no-no because then you can't feel the line. Most of the caves are around 72 degrees anyways, so not wearing gloves for a couple hour dive is no big deal. If I expect to be doing a lot of pulling on the rocks(going into a high flow cave), I'll sometimes wear gloves and stuff 'em in my pocket when I'm past that part. If the vis goes down, and I need to get on the line.....I won't hesitate to ditch the gloves. They're definitely nice to have on those long deco stops.

Mike

Originally posted by art.chick
I'm not yet a cave diver but want to be. I noticed that WYDT was not wearing gloves in the gorgeous photos. Why is that? It must be chilly if u have on a dry suit.

Aviatrr is right. We don't wear gloves in the cave because in the event that you loose visibility (siltout, lost mask, etc) you can't feel the line with gloves on.

The water is 68 in N FL to 72 in Central FL and not cold enough (when wearing a dry suit and hood) to require gloves. The longer dives we've been doing do require a drysuit though. Divetimes in excess of 2hrs not including Deco you'll get too cold in a wetsuit, even a 7mm. Long deco is the worst because you aren't moving much.

Some people wear gloves with the fingers and thumb cut off and I've tried that and liked it but haven't found any gloves yet that don't eventually fall apart when you cut them.

Hope this answers your question.

DSAO!!

In the Missouri caves we wear gloves (dry gloves). Mine Lomotte can be 40 deg F so there isn't any choice. With practice it can be done but, as in any diving, the cold and the equipment required are additional factors you must contend with.

Glad to hear the practical angle on the glove issue! -Sue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom