cave reels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad we find each other mutually amusing..... That being said, I was unaware DR is marketing a reel like that (I have several of the variety of which I posted on....you are not denying that DR ever made these or that they are out there in significant quantities, especially in Shop stocks are you?) So I, partially, stand corrected. However when considering the old style (which are still commercially available are certainly are out there and in use) where did I go 'wrong'?

You're right Dell, you are the only guy who knows how to use a reel and make a broad generalization at the drop of a hat on the ability of others. But this is to be expected from someone that makes his living in the very specialized technical diving industry and has to keep up 'appearances'. I would defend my job too. Luckily I dive and interact with other divers out of fun not necessity. I AM NOT AS GOOD A DIVER AS YOU. I don't have to belittle others that I don't know to keep product flowing to market. By the way why don't you walk down to your own shipping dept and ask Dyson how 'reel challenged' I am.

As far as DR products I have purchased many of them in the past and have been very pleased with most of them. Mostly I have been pleased with the 'professionalism' displayed by its 'officers' and PR dept. Another nameless organization is pathetic in its tactless PR campaign (which I believe you took me to be a part of by my post). Lately, some of the posts and the general 'attitude' that you have displayed here (see your post) and other boards leads me to believe that DR is dropping to the competition's level. I sincerely hope that this is not the case.

Dell, if you check the 'tude and the ego threat at the door many would have so much more respect for you (the guys/gals that stay in the sport and continue to buy gear year after year). I think its great "17 years in the worst conditions you can imagine"....but I've been around long enough in this industry and sport that that smoke won't blow up my A**....That appeals to the new or under experienced crowd in tech diving while the rest of us just roll our eyes......So do the right thing Dell and go back to the PR and Marketing plans that have made DR the stick to be measured by in the industry and leave the wallowing around in the mud beating chest stuff to the swine.

Originally posted by Dell Motes
This stuff makes me laugh sometimes, but here you go anyway.
If you can't use a simple gap reel without birdnesting it, then you can't use a larger reel without the same risk of entanglement either, so if your "reel challenged" then you should be using huge spools as well as the small one for line work. I have used various designs of gap and standard reels in the last 17 years in the worst conditions you can imagine.

Eeeaasy there, pat those feathers back down.
Either a person can use a reel or a spool, or they can't, simple.
There are many good designs out there, and the spool has just taken it's place among many good ideas. It has specific qualities where it may excel, just like any other tool.
I'm not sure what the intent of the rest of your post is, I don't even know you. If you thought the "you" in my post was "Lance Carlson" then you (Lance Carlson) are mistaken. The "you" refered to "a" or "any" diver that is not or will not become proficient with a reel or spool. That is the whole point, it does not matter what design is used if the person does not pay attention and practice with it. My mistake, apparently I should have worded it differently. I regret that you have such an adverse opinion of me, as I don't believe we have even met.
Regards, I think............

Dell-

Precisely the problem with non-personal means of communication. You are right we haven't met and I harbor no poor feelings toward you. See the 'good with the bad' in my prior post. I have the utmost respect for Lamar's business model and PR campaign- not to mention the vastly superior customer service that I have been witness to. In fact, I think many of the so called competitors could have learned a lot by studying and reverse engineering DRs bussiness success.

A lot of people hold you in high esteem in the industry (as they should for your collective business accomplishments within DR). But I don't think you guys want to have a GI 3 **Trey** out there pushing your products. I have a lot of both Halcyon and Dive Rite products and right now I am pretty PO'ed at Halcyon for their Customer Service and PR campaign that gets me nasty looks on boats in Cozumel because I have a 'Halcyon- The doing it right equipment company' BC on. We could discuss specifics if you wanted to go further with this topic offline but I won't air the 'dirty laundry' in public.

You like me(and this is an opinion) have an intense affinity for cave diving. Many times we might find ourselves pounding out a scathing reply or thread that may not really get across the true points we want to convey in a way that is immediately comprehensible to the other party.

We could play the semantics and logic game about what each of us wrote all day long.......in the end it is of no value to either one of us (in my opinion). I did see it as 'you' but now that's cleared up and I doubt either one of us was losing sleep over it. It was improper for me to 'carry over' opinions formed via another list, alas I am very human.

My point was to draw a parallel here for you. That I (as I the collective diver out there) don't give a darn how many records or dives someone (take Trey for example) has, if they come off as a jerk all the time when they are actually trying to represent a concept or company they meet resistance. Not that you are a GI parallel but we can see how that path doesn't work...if you want to help people in their decision-making even when someone is poo pooing DR even the remote possibility of them misunderstanding a generalized comment on some skill set can drive away customers. I'll still buy DR.

I got it just last month a client that was out of control got right in my face and told me that my product was a 'piece of Sh**' . I had two choices....I could get mad or I could sell smart. I choose to ask the client why it was a POS and to make a long story short he ended up buying 50K more POS software after that episode as it was because he failed to do his homework and needed an out to upper mgmt for why. So maybe you could have called me out in a different way...as I am not familiar with DR current offerings. As you are a DR company representative online or off in customers eyes, it is my perception that, this is the way things should happen....a 'consultive and educational sales approach'.

So I made a mistake about a DR product and then misinterpreted a statement made by you (that obviously could have been construed in either manner). I guess I'll see you at the conference and we can have a good laugh or two? ;0)

Regards,

Lance Carlson
aka Maddiver

Dell,

You wouldn't mind giving me one of those gap reels this weekend, so I can see if they fit in my thigh pocket, would ya? :D :wink: :eek:ut:

Big James,
I'm not sure, but I think you would be in violation of rule #6, (someone point me to this, I've seen reference to it but I don't know exactly what it is). The spool is blue.............

So I take it that is a "no" on the reel? ;-0

:D

Maddiver

Was it not you that told me I another post not to let my feelings get the best of me and not to jump to conclusions about other people because in cave diving you had to have a level head about yourself was just wondering. :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom